wisdom tooth

boydE
boydE Posts: 376 Forumite
edited 29 November 2011 at 8:19PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
had my wisdom tooth out at the dentist earlier, I 'm now that bit duller ;)

i have this big pad that i am pressing down on.

what should I expect, should I be ok? can i eat food?

any advice really, my dentist just give me a little bag with some pads in with a brief note on extractions for the first half hour.

PS can I still exercise?

Comments

• SRH_2
    SRH_2 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would say a lot depends on whether you have any pain or bleeding. I'd be a bit careful about what you eat and would avoid exercise this evening so you don't make it bleed. But if you are okay tomorrow, then I would think you would be okay.

Bit of advice from the NHS: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Wisdom-tooth-removal/Pages/Recovery.aspx

I had all four wisdom teeth out several years ago. It was under general anaesthetic in hospital and they were impacted and pretty horrible to get out so I didn't even think of food or exercise when I got home. It made me pretty poorly and I survived on soup, trifle (lovely and soft!) and co-codamol for a week. Bonus was I lost half a stone!
  • boydE
    SRH wrote: »
    I would say a lot depends on whether you have any pain or bleeding. I'd be a bit careful about what you eat and would avoid exercise this evening so you don't make it bleed. But if you are okay tomorrow, then I would think you would be okay.

Bit of advice from the NHS: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Wisdom-tooth-removal/Pages/Recovery.aspx

I had all four wisdom teeth out several years ago. It was under general anaesthetic in hospital and they were impacted and pretty horrible to get out so I didn't even think of food or exercise when I got home. It made me pretty poorly and I survived on soup, trifle (lovely and soft!) and co-codamol for a week. Bonus was I lost half a stone!

thanks for your reply!

my dentist used to work in the local hospital, he took an xray and the nerve was quite away from the tooth. the tooth seemed to come out fairly easy, it was curved at the bottom so was tricky, it came out in 1 piece and the dentist seem happy.
    I can feel some sort of pain, hopefully it will not be to severe.
    I will keep away from food, just have soup or something.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Your dentist should have given you instructions specific for you.

The things you ask depend on many factors which no-one on here can know, so shouldn't be offering you advice.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • boydE
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    Your dentist should have given you instructions specific for you.

The things you ask depend on many factors which no-one on here can know, so shouldn't be offering you advice.

Nothing was said to me, the nurse handed me over a slip with the words

"post operative extraction instructions"

to avoid eating on that side for 30 mins, no smoking, use a mouthwash and warm salty water from tomorrow for the next 24 hours, apply pressure on the socket for the next 30 minutes, if any bleeding then apply pressure on the area for 30 mins, to contact the practice or go to A+E if bleeding persist"
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Well that seems to answer your questions.

You can eat after 30 mins, and so long as it's not bleeding there's not much to worry about.

Personally, I like to be a little more comprehensive with my patients and offer advice on pain relief should they require it - but that has to be appropriate for the patient.

If you have concerns, contact the practice.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure