Budget Edinburgh wedding - is it possible?

Hi,

Me and my lad are planning to tie the knot next summer (Friday 13 July - eek!). We're having a humanist service and we've booked our celebrant. Thing is, we're trying to find an affordable venue and it's proving really tough. Edinburgh wedding venues seem to all seriously high prices and it's all way out of our budget - plus neither of us see the point in starting our married lives in debt.

Can anyone suggest somewhere vaguely pretty in Edinburgh that could hold around 100 people? Doesn't need to have a wedding licence - the celebrant has her own.

Thanks!!

Miss (soon to be Mrs) Jean Brodie

Comments

• Hello Miss Jean Brodie.

Can I suggest looking at alternative venues such as country estate homes (that do not advertise for weddings)
    When my lovely hubby and I tied the knot in July we opted for a local country estate house. We had to hire our tables and chairs (so please concider this) but the cost for hiring the house for the day was fantastic. Not to mention we could provide all the drink without the additional cost of corkage.
    We hired their in-house chef, and the house helped with all arrangements etc.

I guess this would come down to what you would like your day to be. We made our day as laid back and relaxing as possible, and the setting worked perfectly.

Good luck :) its so exciting planning for your special day.
    I'm a Debt Free Wannabe :) PAID £4400/£6100 = 72.1% Busted!
  • slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Have you tried asking the celebrant, since you've booked them first?

As forgottendreams says, look for venues which don't advertise weddings, they're likely to be much cheaper. Try council hall hire - gyms, schools, community centres etc. (I'd say church halls are probably cheaper but if you're having a humanist ceremony I'm guessing that's really not what you want). Or sports clubs, "function rooms" at pubs, things like that.

We did a budget wedding but just used the register office at South Queensferry - no problem with licences etc. It's not big enough for 100 though.

You could always risk outdoors (a nice park or something) if you're gamblers :D
  • I'm sure that MacDonald hotel at holyrood were doing wedding packages for £5k (I could be mistaken, my gf keeps picking up the brochures trying to drop hints)

Of course, it all depends on your budget!

You could always see if you could rent a companies vacant building for a day (standard life a good example, i'm sure they have a few empty premises in Edinburgh?), don't know how easy that would be of course or cheap!
    :exclamatiTo the internet.. I need to complain about something!
  • Lima
    Lima Posts: 63 Forumite
    Not sure the Standard Life idea is a goer as they only own a few of their buildings, most of them they are leaseholders and are not allowed to sublet in most cases.

You should look at places such as golf clubs, bowling clubs or rugby clubs which are very reasonable to rent out for the day and the bar costs are minimal. Golf clubs tend to have the better surrounds and most will have their own chefs who can help you.
  • Thomas Morton Hall? "It is also a spectacular wedding venue, with a fully equipped catering kitchen and a licensed bar available on request.
    Evening event hires from £285.50+VAT "
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport