'Grrrrrr – Scrabble ignoramuses, keep your traps shut' blog discussion

edited 25 November 2011 at 4:13PM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
10 replies 2.3K views
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Replies

• tagq2tagq2 Forumite
    382 Posts
    ✭✭
    MSE wrote:
    People seem to have an inherent need to interfere in [life].

"Opinions are like..."

Anyway, English is descriptive. If you want to stop a word existing, stop using it. If enough people do that, it goes away. Reality is rarely so malleable.
  • Martin, I thought you were going to say that you used the word "Grrrrrr" and someone told you that you couldn't... although I can't remember off-hand if there are that many R tiles in the pack :)

As a scrabble purist, what do you think of the "new" scrabble that changes all the rules? I forget what they call it...
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martin,

If you really take a Scrabble board out with you to a restaurant, surely you've got to expect people to make comments?

Would be like, let me see, someone making a comment to a group of people playing Monopoly on a train. Now, who would do a thing like that?
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Martin,

If you really take a Scrabble board out with you to a restaurant, surely you've got to expect people to make comments?

Would be like, let me see, someone making a comment to a group of people playing Monopoly on a train. Now, who would do a thing like that?

Yes but my monopoly comment was to help - not to hinder :)

(I didnt mind him commenting, it was the comment - he was a very nice chap though we had a good laugh with him and his wife)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • MandelbrotMandelbrot
    9.1K Posts
    Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Please tell me what a ‘normal word’ actually is – a doctor may use zygote in everyday speech, a healer chi and a classist xi."

Well a normal word might be 'classicist' if we were talking about people who use the greek alphabet ... ;):D
  • bargepolebargepole Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    All valid words are in Collins Scrabble Tournament & Club Word List (ISBN-10: 0007258844). If it's in there, you can play it. If it's not, you can't.

This book just lists all the words without definitions, serious Scrabble players couldn't care less what the words mean, it's all about scoring the maximum number of points.

Casual players just can't seem to get their heads round this, hence the inane "normal words" comment.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 55, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • magyarmagyar Forumite
    18.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    (I didnt mind him commenting, it was the comment - he was a very nice chap though we had a good laugh with him and his wife)

You should come round to ours for a party one day. We put all the car keys into a Scrabble bag and then.... :)
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • tara747tara747 Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speechless!!!!
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • A serious Scrabble player will learn a bunch of high-scoring, short words but may never use them in their normal vocabulary. This is why they get average scores of over 400. Personally, that is too much like work and stops making a game fun.

The equivalent would be me playing five-aside with my mates in the park compared with playing for Manchester City.
    bargepole wrote: »
    All valid words are in Collins Scrabble Tournament & Club Word List (ISBN-10: 0007258844). If it's in there, you can play it. If it's not, you can't.

This book just lists all the words without definitions, serious Scrabble players couldn't care less what the words mean, it's all about scoring the maximum number of points.

Casual players just can't seem to get their heads round this, hence the inane "normal words" comment.
  • BobbinAlongBobbinAlong Forumite
    177 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Words are for using, whether it is in speech or written English or even Scrabble. If it's in the dictionary, it's a word so it needs using. What else is a word for??
    We learn words from others so keep using them and literally spread the word.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides