PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Uncooked pasta; Can I Cook it in the oven?

Options
Hello; This is my 1st post on this board...be gentle with me!

I have been really inspired and trying very hard cooking from scratch; looking in the cupboards and trying to use what I have rather than dash out and grab a ready made meal for example.

i have a problem now though; I had some large pasta penne tubes (about 3/4 inch wide) lurking at the back of the cupboard, they have been there for months so I made a conncoction of leftovers (quorn ,tomato, onion boiled it down ) and then stuffed them. I have thrown a bit of white sauce and cheese on top and was going to cook them for the kids when they get it...

However I have just read the packet and it said to cook them in boiling water for 20mins. Will they still cook if I put them in the oven? if so how long would you advise as I dont want the pasta to be crunchy! I really also want to get into this OS (in fact I am going out later to get some stardrops)

Thankyou for any advice.:)

Comments

• craig777
    craig777 Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    If you've got enough liquid in and around the pasta it should cook, but I'm not gonna guarantee you'll get excellent results. If you want to stuff tubes of pasta, you should try to get some Canelloni tubes ideally.

Out of interest, the pasta you're describing sounds like Rigatoni, am I correct?
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    janthemum wrote:
    Hello; This is my 1st post on this board...be gentle with me!

I have been really inspired and trying very hard cooking from scratch; looking in the cupboards and trying to use what I have rather than dash out and grab a ready made meal for example.

i have a problem now though; I had some large pasta penne tubes (about 3/4 inch wide) lurking at the back of the cupboard, they have been there for months so I made a conncoction of leftovers (quorn ,tomato, onion boiled it down ) and then stuffed them. I have thrown a bit of white sauce and cheese on top and was going to cook them for the kids when they get it...

However I have just read the packet and it said to cook them in boiling water for 20mins. Will they still cook if I put them in the oven? if so how long would you advise as I dont want the pasta to be crunchy! I really also want to get into this OS (in fact I am going out later to get some stardrops)

Thankyou for any advice.:)

I would have thought that with a moist enough sauce it should cook ok in the oven - a bit like lasagne would.

My children enjoy crunchy pasta - they all like to eat the dry, uncooked stuff. Weird really!
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yeah, as long as there's plenty of sauce/moisture inside and out, I think it should cook the pasta ok. Make sure you fiddle with it to make sure some of the white sauce gets under each tube - otherwise you might get hard bottoms!
  • fallenwiccan
    Options
    Justamum wrote:
    I would have thought that with a moist enough sauce it should cook ok in the oven - a bit like lasagne would.

My children enjoy crunchy pasta - they all like to eat the dry, uncooked stuff. Weird really!

i do that too thought it was just me hehe

but yeah i think it should be ok i do the home pride pasta bakes from dry pasta in the oven as long as plenty of sauce and left in long enough you'll be fine
    HSBC CC - £3000 / £3000
    Halifax CC - £1032.77 / £1032.77
    Mortgage currently at [STRIKE]£82,299.71[/STRIKE] £76,017.62 would love to overpay
  • janthemum
    janthemum Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll let you know what its like.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure