PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Out of Date Long Life Candia Skimmed Milk

Options
I never buy long-life milk but I have had this one in the fridge for ages - got it free and thought I would keep it for an emergency. It has a date on it of 11.09.06 - but don't know if that is "sell by" or "use by". Anyway, before I noticed the date, I was planning to try making Easiyo yoghurt with it (using a wee bit of yoghurt that I've already made from a Easiyo pack). I've just opened it and it smells OK. What does "Long Life" mean and do you think it would be OK to use for yoghurt?

Comments

• Pollybear
    Pollybear Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I googled this:

Ultra-high-temperature (UHT) milk is regular fluid milk that is packed in an airtight, sterilized, cardboard (tetra brik) container. The product is treated by flash sterilization at 290 ° F. (twice the temperature of normal pasteurization). This high temperature kills all bacteria or microorganisms. The milk is then packed into sterilized containers. This milk is then shelf-stable for six months. After six months, the flavor and color begins to change and the product thickens. It is still safe but may not produce the desired effect in a recipe. Once opened, the milk must be refrigerated.

So it shouldn't kill you but it might not turn out exactly right!
  • organic_wanabe
    Options
    Thanks - should of thought of googling it. This milk isn't in a tetra-pack though, its in a non-see-through white plastic bottle but that probably doesn't make any difference. Suppose I better buy some skimmed milk if I want to try it out on yoghurt-making. Don't want to be put off for life and have to keep buying the Easiyo sachets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure