Ge capital set up fees

Options
Hi I was contacted recently by a firm called chase Alexandra about excessive set up fees on a GE capital mortgage we took out through a mortgage adviser about six years ago,they say we can claim the excessive fees back,is this true or is it a scam,can anybody help please.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    they say we can claim the excessive fees back,is this true or is it a scam

Cant say if its a scam but there is no reason to believe you can claim back any fees agreed with a mortgage adviser or lender. The FSA does not define excessive fees and whilst you do get some greedy sods out there, if you agree those fees then that is your choice.

its no different from getting 3 builders to quote on a job and most expensive one could be £20,000 more than the cheapest. It is up to you which one you employ.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    What excessive fees?

How does this firm know about them, or about your mortgage?
  • scramble5868
    Options
    The fees to set up the mortgage were around £4500 the mortgage adviser told us to go with Ge capital because our credit rating was not that good,our solicitor told us the fees were crazy,we went with them because of what the adviser told us
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure