PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sewing - Making clothes where to start.

Options
Ok, I have just got a freebie sewing machine and want to make something useful with it. I would love to start making my own clothes (tops, skirts etc...) but havent really got much experience in this!

I have had a go at the machine on some old fabric and got the hang of it ok.

Can anyone give me any tips on where to start? Is fabric expensive and where can i get some free-ish and easy patterns?

Thanks
Make £10 a day challenge March 2013 £101.24 / £240 :j
WSC 10 March - £0 / £5
Debt £17,294 - 7th March

Comments

• stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    Great gift... ! Lucky you....

Some quick answers.....

There are loads of books of different 'techniques' in the library. You can practice everything on scrap fabric before you tackle the real thing.

Books also have simple patterns that you can copy onto paper to save buying patterns.

Look through current magazines too, they sometimes have patterns that you can send off for or copy out.

Charity shops are often given patterns but they don't always put them out.. not the 'demand' these days (!).

Fabric can sometimes be found in charity shops too.

Markets also sell fabric as well as some dept stores.

There are sometimes fabric outlets on 'out of town' trading estates.

You can also buy on line. https://www.fabricland.co.uk gave great service. Lovely lady to talk to on the phone with my query and package arrived next day by courier. They sell sheeting, was £2.58 per metre (very wide of course) which would be great if you wanted to practice a technique or a whole garment until you are satisfied with your work.

Check out at your library for sewing groups, ask around at places where 'oldies' congregate (lunch clubs etc) there will be a wealth of skills there and I'm sure they'd love to help, even the ladies who demonstrate machines would help with a one off problem I'm sure......... phew, pause for breath.

Hope this gives you some ideas, have fun and don't give up at the first hurdle. I won't bore you with my failures over 40+yrs. Got my first electric machine for passing the 11+. My dad thought bikes were too dangerous!!!! But at least fabric was only 1/11 (less than 10p) a yard in those days :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • redballoon_2
    Options
    thanks for typing that all out for me! I'll be off to the library this week then!
    Make £10 a day challenge March 2013 £101.24 / £240 :j
    WSC 10 March - £0 / £5
    Debt £17,294 - 7th March
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The best fabric to practice on is cotton or poly cotton, try to find a flat sheet or duvet cover, something that's not too thin, in a charity shop, look out for a simple pattern then have a go. Don't spend much on fabric untill you've mastered the basics or you'll be disappointed if doesn't go right first time. A skirt with an elasticated waist or a camisole top would be a good first project.
    Good Luck.
  • dolly_day_dream
    Options
    I love to sew but find fabric so expensive these days so I have reverted back to what I used to do when I was learning at the grand old age of 10/11. I used to go to jumble sales and pick the clothes apart and make something new out of them. Not so many jumble sales in my area now so I buy sheets and duvets from charity shops. I look out for cotton because I love to wear it. If I can find plain white sheets (which they tend to give away because everyone wants fitted sheets now) I am in seventh heaven. Not only will it feel good I can also dye it easily.
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
  • UniqueEarthling
    Options
    I love to sew but find fabric so expensive these days so I have reverted back to what I used to do when I was learning at the grand old age of 10/11. I used to go to jumble sales and pick the clothes apart and make something new out of them. Not so many jumble sales in my area now so I buy sheets and duvets from charity shops. I look out for cotton because I love to wear it. If I can find plain white sheets (which they tend to give away because everyone wants fitted sheets now) I am in seventh heaven. Not only will it feel good I can also dye it easily.

Like you, I spending a lot of time pulling things apart for the material these days; I can't believe how the price of fabric has shot up.

To the OP, you could try putting a request for patterns on your local freecycle. You never know, there may be someone out there with a box of patterns gathering dust.
  • ebaybaby
    ebaybaby Posts: 873 Forumite
    Options
    Here is an amazing forum I have found that gives lodas of ideas and help to new sewers.

http://www.sewforum.com/index.php

Patterns quite cheap on ebay also ebay USA is very cheap. To start with I would get a ...........for dummies pattern. They are so easy and explain everything in esay terms.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure