PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

strange request!

Options
My school is having a safari/african day in support of UNICEF on Friday as it's their Day for Change. Since i am organising it can anyone suggest what i could dress up as? Ideas so far has been a safari suit?
Thanks

Comments

• mumoftwo
    mumoftwo Posts: 1,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can go as an African lady. They dress up in very bold, loud colours and wear the same material as a turban kind of thing on their head.

Go as an animal. Lion (paint your face)

dressed in safari is prob the easiest.
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    go topless:eek: sorry that wasnt much help...err i`ll get me coat :o
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    the ladies wear long kaftan type dresses with sandals... maybe cut up a big red blanket and a head scarf :confused: with big bright beads for jewellery, im sure i`ve seen some african bits n bobs in oxfam as well, maybe try looking in a fancy dress place might be an idea:D
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • bellsbells
    Options
    there are so many styles of dress/culture you could choose for Africa. What about Egyptian? Moroccan? Bedouin? Zulu? I am sure that with a bit of googling there will be lots to try! I suppose it does depend on how ambitious you are feeling in the costume making department:rotfl:

DFW nerd no = 281 (graduate)

• stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    You can make large 'beads' to thread out of colourful glossy magazine pages. You will need glue and a thin knitting needle or stick of some sort to wrap the paper around too.

For each bead, cut out pennant shapes or 'tall triangles'. The base of the triangle is the length of the bead and the taller the triangle the fatter the bead.

Put the triangle right side down and spread glue over most of the wrong side leaving a border at the base unglued. Place your 'stick' across the unglued strip and then begin rolling (swiss roll style) towards the point. once you get to the glued bit it will begin to stick together.

When fully rolled up, carefully slide out the stick and leave to dry.

Different sized triangles will give you different sized beads to thread as you like.

Also if you have a colour scheme to follow, you can use porous art paper to be painted and varnished.

This is something the children could get involved in too. Have fun!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport