MSE News: Tesco told to make Price Check limit clearer in ads

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
15 replies 2.8K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Tesco has been reprimanded by the advertising watchdog for leaving out a key condition in its refund promise ..."

Replies

• Good. Pity they didn't get a big fine. Toothless ASA.
    7 Feb 2012: 10st7lbs :( 14 Feb: 10st4.5lbs :D 21 Feb: 10st4lbs * 1 March: 10st2.5lbs :j13 March: 10st3lbs (post-holiday) :o 30 March: 10st1.5lbs :D 4 April: 10st0.75lbs * 6 April: 9st13.5 lbs :) 27 April 9st12.5lbs * 16 May 9st12lbs * 11 June 9st11lbs * 15 June 9st9.5lbs * 20 June 9st8.5lbs :D 27 June 9st8lbs * 1 July 9st7lbs * 7 July 9st6.5lbs :D
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to say it, but I'm with Tesco on this one.
    I can't see a fair (=reasonable) shop being £10 more in Tesco than Asda. I think the only time it would happen is if people were shopping deliberately to get the vouchers, so I think fair use policy is the right place to put it.
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate to say it, but I'm with Tesco on this one.
    I can't see a fair (=reasonable) shop being £10 more in Tesco than Asda. I think the only time it would happen is if people were shopping deliberately to get the vouchers, so I think fair use policy is the right place to put it.

someone told me there normal shop was £16 cheaper in asda than tesco on mysupermarket.com now i can only assume asda had offers on and it was a monthly shop but it does happen, she only told me because she was shocked there was such a big difference and she knows i normally use tesco but it's no use to me anyway since i don't have an asda
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • wizk1wizk1 Forumite
    910 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Unless your shop only consists of Whoopsies, I can't see how the cost of a typical weekly shop can vary by £20. confused0024.gif
  • russetredrussetred Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Probably moot anyway as the Price checker website has not been printing out vouchers since Thursday last week. Tesco dont seem to be in any rush to fix the problem either.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
    12.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    quintwins wrote: »
    someone told me there normal shop was £16 cheaper in asda than tesco on mysupermarket.com now i can only assume asda had offers on and it was a monthly shop but it does happen, she only told me because she was shocked there was such a big difference and she knows i normally use tesco but it's no use to me anyway since i don't have an asda
    I bet that was a shop done in Asda.
    I bet if she had done her shop in Tesco it wouldn't have come out as quite that much of a difference.
    Though I've just seen you said it was a monthly shop. Most people shop weekly, so that's only like a £4 difference.
  • i am not allowed to say anything as the report sent to me says its confidential:o
    life is like a loo roll. the nearer the end you get, the faster it goes.
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bet that was a shop done in Asda.
    I bet if she had done her shop in Tesco it wouldn't have come out as quite that much of a difference.
    Though I've just seen you said it was a monthly shop. Most people shop weekly, so that's only like a £4 difference.

yes she went to asda the del chanrge was cheaper aswell :), well she does a big shop when she's paid and then small top ups in her local shops as she relys on buses so this suits some people more
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
    12.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    quintwins wrote: »
    yes she went to asda the del chanrge was cheaper aswell
    My point is that the shop you shop in will always come out better than it would in a simple test.

For example, say both shops sell sausages for £1 and bacon for £1. No difference in who is better value.
    Lets say you want sausages and bacon.
    Lets say on the day you go, Tesco are doing sausages on BOGOF and Asda are doing bacon on BOGOF. Again, no real difference in who is better value.
    You go to Asda. You put two packets of bacon in your basket and one pack of sausages because of the offer you see in front of you.
    You pay £2.
    The comparrison will say that it would have cost you £3 in Tesco.
    This is true, but unfair to say from this that Asda is cheaper.
    If you'd been to Tesco you'd have bought two packs of sausages and one packet of bacon - again spending £2 and again the comparrison would say you are £1 better off.

So I don't think this example qualifies as a reasonable shop where Tesco was more than £10 more expensive, because it wasn't a Tesco shop.
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My point is that the shop you shop in will always come out better than it would in a simple test.

For example, say both shops sell sausages for £1 and bacon for £1. No difference in who is better value.
    Lets say you want sausages and bacon.
    Lets say on the day you go, Tesco are doing sausages on BOGOF and Asda are doing bacon on BOGOF. Again, no real difference in who is better value.
    You go to Asda. You put two packets of bacon in your basket and one pack of sausages because of the offer you see in front of you.
    You pay £2.
    The comparrison will say that it would have cost you £3 in Tesco.
    This is true, but unfair to say from this that Asda is cheaper.
    If you'd been to Tesco you'd have bought two packs of sausages and one packet of bacon - again spending £2 and again the comparrison would say you are £1 better off.

So I don't think this example qualifies as a reasonable shop where Tesco was more than £10 more expensive, because it wasn't a Tesco shop.

yes but if you don't need 2 packets of sausages or bacon you won't buy them, also bogofs tend to be more expensive brands, the girl i was talking about has very little money and buys mainly value/smart price items and wouldn't be likely to buy bogofs or offers despite me contantly telling her the best on yet for her asda was indeed cheaper and not done to get a voucher as she went with asda anyway she usually shops as asda for her big shop as it's too far to travel but teh deliver

however i agree that for a normal weekly shop for those of us who have the funds to take advantage of offers there unlikely to be a huge diference
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support