PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Freshening mattresses

Options
Hi all

Whenever I change the bedding I leave the matress bare for a few hours and then give it a good spray with Febreeze but I'm sure there must be a better way to do it - and one that doesn't just 'mask' problems ...... so has anyone got any top tips for refreshing a mattress old styleee?

I was thinking that maybe tea tree oil might do it - hasn't that got anti-bacterial properties or something?

Thanks

Jo x
Official DFW Nerd Club Member No: 286
Official DFW Long Hauler No: 177
Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

Comments

• Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could try sprinkling it with some bicarb, leaving it for a few hours and then hoovering it off really well - that would remove odours and the hoovering would remove some of the dust mites etc.

Tea tree oil is anti-bacterial but I'm not sure that I'd want my bed to smell of it lol ... also, I'd be worried that it would stain the mattress. Maybe though you could try making your own febreeze type spray with some distilled water and essential oils? A lot of oils, like lavender, peppermint, grapefruit etc are known for their antibacterial properties and in this season of sniffles and colds it might be quite nice to have a minty/mentholy bed to go to :) Make sure you dilute anything really well though, as some oils can cause skin reactions.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Turning over the mattress will help too. Not O/S but steam cleaning is great for freshening up & deodorizing and also hoovering. I wouldn't put oils or anything onto the mattress, other than to wipe up any stains.
  • crossleydd42
    crossleydd42 Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    .....and regular turning of a mattress will prolong its life. Do it side-to-side and top-to-bottom alternately every three months or so.
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    After bitter experience I have now put matttress covers on all our beds. Primark sell these from £5 for single mattress, £7 doub;e etc. Definitely worth the initial outlay and a godsend if anyone is sick etc in bed. They`re washable and have fitted well. Definitely recommend them!
  • giddykipper
    Options
    Thanks everyone ...... after being stuck in bed for 4 days with flu I'll definitely be using some of your suggestions .... as well as getting myself down to Primark at some point!

Thanks again

Jo
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member No: 286
    Official DFW Long Hauler No: 177
    Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I usually vax ours regular, especially my sons as he still wets bed occasionally. Standing on it side next to an open window does them good sometimes too. Allowing them to air regularly with no sheets on etc.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport