PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What size casserole dishes?

Options
2»

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    That is one of the oval ones, I have never bothered with them, just the round ones, as the hold more for the same amount of cupboard space! Hmm, have I the space/money for a new one?:rotfl: (no is the answer)

LOL, think I need to start a savings pot for a new one!;)

The big one's getting a bit hard up - I was having problems with things sticking (had a similar mishap to your OH:o) but seem to have resolved this atm by wiping the whole inside with a bit of oil before I start to cook.

The outside's chipped in a few places too (my fault!) - however, thinking back I've had it at least 15 years so it's not done too badly:) (especially not being a "proper" one).

Better start saving now .... £1 / week - I can get a new one in a couple of years! :eek:

Nicki - I know I've had around 9/10 portions of something like mince and around 7/8 of chicken casserole out the big one and I've never filled it to the max (as haven't needed to). HTH
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Just came across this website - not heard of the make but might be worth some research for the smaller one.

I can get a whole chicken in my big Le C pot - DM always had an oval one which is probably why I got that one!

My stone lasagne dishes are like these (I now have 2 - I keep inheriting things & just can't say no!).

Trying to answer some of your questions:

lasagnes, pasta bakes, cottage pies etc - big pyrex dish
    vegetable gratins - big pyrex dish
    stews, chillis, bolognaises - Stews etc in the SC or the big Le C pot. Chilli / bolognaise in my saute pan (I'd really miss this too! It's a bit like this one, but also came from France courtesay of DM so it's slightly different)
    crumbles - deep glass dish
    toad in the hole - I tend to make individual ones in my yorkshire pud tray (it makes big ones!)

HTH
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you decide you want some pyrex, last time I went into Tesco, they had a good deal on a square baking dish (the size I make lasagne in) with a medium sized round casserole packaged together for a fiver - they would normally cost about that individually. I don't need another square one at the moment, but bought the set as I do need the round one and no doubt will need the square at some point!
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • msb5262
    msb5262 Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,
    I bought some own-brand Pyrex type dishes in Morrisons recently, including a square dish for lasagne/shepherd's pie etc which was £1.99 so amazing value - I really like square or rectangular dishes for the freezer and for easy storage.
    Would also recommend you look in Ikea/supermarkets for enamelled ironware - cheaper than Le Creuset, and just as good.
    HTH
    MsB
  • mysk_girl
    Options
    Swindon designer outlet also has a Le Creuset shop, which would be a bit closer than York...
  • liz-paul
    Options
    I'm no expert but haven't been that pleased with my le creuset stuff - 2 frying pans have had the non stick stuff come off the bottom and my saucepans aren't faring that well, they are relegated to being spares now. TK maxx can be good for kitchen stuff but you prob won't get a matching set....
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh, another vote for Le Creuset...I had everything for a while, baking dishes, casseroles, kettle and lots of pots. It is heavy though and eventually I gave away all my pots and skillet, but I've kept the two casserole dishes (29 cm and 24cm), the big ovel roasting dish and two rectagular oven dishes for lasagnes and bakes. The real advantage of the iron Le Creuset of course is that you ca use them on the hob as well as in the oven and they cook extremely well at slow temperatures.

If you want to pop popcorn in the microwave, may I suggest a roasting bag that's suitable for microwave use too?
    Val.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport