Strange 'Interview' - Setting up their shop.

I got invited to an interview today, and was told to go in jeans and trainers, as there would be a small work trial.

I'm not a jeans & trainers person usually, but went along as they requested.. thinking I'd have an interview and then a little trial to see how I can work.
There was meant to be 12 of us being interviewed, but only 10 turned up. And it wasn't an interview at all. All day it was me and 9 others getting all their stock out and sorting all the displays and setting up their shop.
And we've been told to go back tomorrow for more of the same, and we will be told tomorrow if we have the job. Apparently there are 4 jobs going, so 6 of the group wont be lucky.

I just wondered, have any of you ever had an interview like this? Or heard of anything like this? Everyone I've told seems to think its very weird. I don't want to think I'm wasting my time going if its going to be some sort of scam to get people to work for two days for nothing.

I'm going back because I really want a job, and don't want to not turn up when I could possibly get employed. I just have people telling me I shouldn't go back so I feel pretty torn.

Please don't think I don't want to work, I really do. And I didn't mind that they said there was a small work trial, but two full days work isn't the couple of hours they made it out to be.

Thanks.

Comments

• This sounds like a complete scam in order to get their shop sorted for nothing!!!! I'd be livid if it were me!!! It's not The Apprentice after all! If this was really the case they'd be up front about it but personally I'd go tomorrow and tell them how illegal this all is!
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sounds like they're killing two birds with one stone.. recruiting and getting the setting up of the shop done. Good luck and hope you get the job.
  • an9i77
    an9i77 Posts: 1,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Depends whether you think its worth being exploited in order to get a job, sounds like they are exploiting you for sure. Personally I'd run a mile but then I'm not desperate for work. Also even if you do still want the job, it does not say much about how they would treat you as an employee if this is how they treat you as a candidate!
  • timbo58
    timbo58 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    It's certainly not illegal, but a bit dubious to be fair I agree with an9i77 on this one otherwise.
    Unless specifically stated all posts by me are my own considered opinion.
    If you don't like my opinion feel free to respond with your own.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    I remember once getting sent to an engineering works on YTS along with four other people. We were told to paint the staff canteen. Three of the people left after a couple of days. When I and the other lad finished it, we were offered apprenticeships. Apparently it was a test...
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Hammyman wrote: »
    I remember once getting sent to an engineering works on YTS along with four other people. We were told to paint the staff canteen. Three of the people left after a couple of days. When I and the other lad finished it, we were offered apprenticeships. Apparently it was a test...
    And fair enough, you were on the YTS, it was part of it. I don't think the current situation is a good match to this.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    shaddix wrote: »
    Please don't think I don't want to work, I really do. And I didn't mind that they said there was a small work trial, but two full days work isn't the couple of hours they made it out to be.

Thanks.

They are taking the mick. And if there are any jobs going, they are looking for people who will put up with having the mick taken.

I would feel inclined to go back and work really hard rearranging things and undoing work which had already been done. But then, I would not want a job there.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Yep. Nice little scam to get business set up quick. Happened to a friend but in a restaurant setting. Restaurant was set up on a budget. Friend works for 2 weeks for free before being told she had a job. To make it worse. Had to wait more than 2 months just to be paid. Why? Business was set up with all cash into the restaurant only and no money for wages. Even the chef was not paid.
    Motto: 'If you don't ask, you don't get!!'

Remember to say thank you to people who help you out!

Also, thank you to people who help me out.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I wonder how many of the other nine will turn up tomorrow, please let us know. Personally I probably would turn up if I was out of work and had time in abundance.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • LadyMissA
    LadyMissA Posts: 3,263 Forumite
    shaddix wrote: »
    I got invited to an interview today, and was told to go in jeans and trainers, as there would be a small work trial.

I'm not a jeans & trainers person usually, but went along as they requested.. thinking I'd have an interview and then a little trial to see how I can work.
    There was meant to be 12 of us being interviewed, but only 10 turned up. And it wasn't an interview at all. All day it was me and 9 others getting all their stock out and sorting all the displays and setting up their shop.
    And we've been told to go back tomorrow for more of the same, and we will be told tomorrow if we have the job. Apparently there are 4 jobs going, so 6 of the group wont be lucky.

I just wondered, have any of you ever had an interview like this? Or heard of anything like this? Everyone I've told seems to think its very weird. I don't want to think I'm wasting my time going if its going to be some sort of scam to get people to work for two days for nothing.

I'm going back because I really want a job, and don't want to not turn up when I could possibly get employed. I just have people telling me I shouldn't go back so I feel pretty torn.

Thanks.

So you haven't been interviewed? I think it's a scam to see who will help them set up for free thinking they may get a job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure