I'm not clear on this - what happens to bank accounts when you go BR?

Options
So when you're officially BR, what happens to your bank accounts and any money that may be in them?

It would seem the accounts are frozen and any money taken - correct?

So I presume nobody pays their mortgage or utility bills for the next month?

Are you not left with cash to live on?

Comments

• Ineedaname
    Ineedaname Posts: 3,658 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This superb new thread from If is a good place to start reading.

What most people do is open a BR friendly bank account and get all their income and DDs/SOs transferred over before they go BR. Then you just advise both the bank and the OR that this is your day to day account and it stays open.
    When I joined, I needed a name. The forum members gave one to me...I am INAN :D
    "Fortunes ebb and flow and a boat must move with the tide and be thankful that it floats." Judith Allnatt
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So the information that says your bank account £££ is taken when you go BR is in fact not true?
  • dojoman
    dojoman Posts: 12,027 Forumite
    Options
    So the information that says your bank account £££ is taken when you go BR is in fact not true?

Not necessarily, if the bank is a creditor in your BR, they may claim the money in your account at the time of your BR to offset any loss they may incur.
    :pB&SC No. 298
    Life`s Tragedy is that we get OLD too soon
    and WISE too late!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not talking about the bank taking money out (if they're a creditor), but the OR or whomever.

I was lead to believe that when you're declared BR, essentially any dosh you have in your accounts at that time is taken away. It doesn't *sound* right to me so maybe it isn't the case after all.
  • dojoman
    dojoman Posts: 12,027 Forumite
    Options
    Have you taken any advice from one of the debt charities yet? The OR does not close the account it is the bank that will do that.
    :pB&SC No. 298
    Life`s Tragedy is that we get OLD too soon
    and WISE too late!
  • Ineedaname
    Ineedaname Posts: 3,658 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have any savings or money in your current account that is surplus to 'reasonable living' requirements, then you will need to declare it on your BR forms. Regardless, the OR will want copies of your bank statements and see what money you have.

They may then decide you have money surplus to requirements and ask you for it. They cannot just take it. You do sign the BR forms to say you will cooperate though...
    When I joined, I needed a name. The forum members gave one to me...I am INAN :D
    "Fortunes ebb and flow and a boat must move with the tide and be thankful that it floats." Judith Allnatt
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you only have enough in your account for your immediate living expenses and you tell the OR that this is what is in the account then he should declare no interest.

Some people to avoid any worry remove any money from the account until they have the OR's declaration. Some make sure all DD's have been paid before they go BR.

But as long as it is just living expenses you should be ok.

As the others have said have you taken any advice from the debt charities?

For ‘essential’ BR info this is Fermi’s sticky - Click here

Main recommended sources of help:
    • National Debtline - Website: National Debtline Telephone: 0808 808 4000
    • Citizens Advice Bureau - Website: Citizens Advice or visit your local CAB centre (find nearest)
    • Consumer Credit Counselling Service - Website: CCCS Telephone: 0800 138 1111
    Others:
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business