Likely to hit 40% tax threshold earlier than usual - help

Options
My yearly salary including shift allowance is approx £44,000 but this year (since april) there has been pretty much unlimited overtime, so happy days :T

My question is, I'm going to be hitting the threshold a lot earlier than usual, possibly next month, does everything I earn from that point automatically be taxed at 40%?
Hope that made sense and thanks in advance

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    No it doesn't

Each month you receive one twelfth of your tax free allowances, one twelfth of the 20% band and one twelfth of the 40% band.
  • grizzly1911
    grizzly1911 Posts: 9,965 Forumite
    Options
    There would be a limited effect if you received a disproportionately high payment in one month, especially at the start of a tax year though.

I used to receive an annual bonus, from previous year, in April pay day and it would throw me out for three months or so but it balanced out across the year.
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
  • chrismac1
    chrismac1 Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Options
    Pension contributions are a good idea for many people in your situation. For every £60 you put in of net pay, the pension provider claims £20 tax to put in, and you pay £20 less tax as well.
    Hideous Muddles from Right Charlies
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    chrismac1 wrote: »
    Pension contributions are a good idea for many people in your situation. For every £60 you put in of net pay, the pension provider claims £20 tax to put in, and you pay £20 less tax as well.

Don't you mean £80 of net pay?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport