P87 and Armed Forces

Options
i'm currently looking into whether i can claim tax relief on the miles i do in my car from home to my raf base each weekend.

at the moment the raf give me 25p per mile for two trips home a month (around 850 miles), however i go home every weekend and actually do nearer 2000 miles per month.

can i claim the full 40p per mile on the 850 miles that the raf already subsidise me and can i go further and claim for the full 2000 miles a month too?

i have a feeling that i won't be entitled - but it's confusing

any help much appreciated - thx

Comments

• dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    timcreggan wrote: »
    i'm currently looking into whether i can claim tax relief on the miles i do in my car from home to my raf base each weekend.

at the moment the raf give me 25p per mile for two trips home a month (around 850 miles), however i go home every weekend and actually do nearer 2000 miles per month.

can i claim the full 40p per mile on the 850 miles that the raf already subsidise me and can i go further and claim for the full 2000 miles a month too?

i have a feeling that i won't be entitled - but it's confusing

any help much appreciated - thx

Are you a full time member of the armed forces or a reservise/auxillary member?
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • timcreggan
    Options
    full time - which i'm guessing is a bad thing as it's my main place of work - dispite being 200+ miles from my house
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately you may be correct.

I found this in respect of revervists/auxillary members http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim50120.htm

The only thing I can find in respect of full time armed forces is here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM50100.htmThat suggest that payments for the cost of leave travel is exempt from tax. i.e. the employer can make a payment towards the costs of travel which is not counted as income for tax purposes, but it does not suggest that any further relief is due if the amount being paid to you is below the approved HMRC mileage rates.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport