Cashing in a Maxi ISA to pay off part of mortgage

Does anyone know if there are any tax implications if I cash in a Maxi ISA to pay off part of my mortgage?

The maxi ISA is an NDF Homemaker plan that has been running for 12 years and is currently worth £23000.

Comments

• I have just done the same, and I don't think there are since if it is a Maxi ISA it is shielded from all types of tax. I guess the only thing is that some ISAs are now at a higher rate than the mortgage interest rate, so that might be worth taking into account.
    18 May 2007 (start of Mortgage):
    Coventry Offset Mortgage £220800
    Offset Savings: £0
    Mortgage Balance: £220,800

14 Jan 08
    Coventry Offest Mortgage: 219002
    Offset Savings: 28200
    Mortage Balance: £190802

And still chucking every spare penny into it!
  • thank you for your reply.
    It is a stocks and shares ISA, and although is performing OK at the moment, in the past it has faired badly. I want to be able to raise cash to pay off a lump sum, and this seems like a good way to do it, and gives me the opportunity to save the premiums elsewhere or overpay the mortgage too.
  • Yes, I agree, rolling the premiums straight into overpayments makes a big difference. As does seeing the daily interest bill come down (I get this figure from my lender every couple of months - its is a real motivator when the going gets rough, and a real eye-opener to see how much I have been shelling out to the building society!). Good luck with hitting the target you have set, I hope to not be too far behind.
    18 May 2007 (start of Mortgage):
    Coventry Offset Mortgage £220800
    Offset Savings: £0
    Mortgage Balance: £220,800

14 Jan 08
    Coventry Offest Mortgage: 219002
    Offset Savings: 28200
    Mortage Balance: £190802

And still chucking every spare penny into it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure