Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe

MSE News: Crackdown after firms caught hounding sick patients in hospital for debts

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Crackdown after firms caught hounding sick patients in hospital for debts

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
11 replies 2.3K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"New guidance on debt collecting has today been published by the OFT, in a bid to protect consumers ..."

Replies

• RASRAS Forumite
    28.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks

We had at least one poster who had bailiff turn up at his bed-side whilst recovering from major surgery.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • corbyboycorbyboy Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody else think that the type of debt collector who would even consider visiting somebody in hospital is probably the sort of person who would ignore this type of advice?
  • fermifermi Forumite
    40.6K posts
    Intrepid Forum Explorer Rampant Recycler Newshound! Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And in the DFW sticky.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    15.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Cashback Cashier Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, on a first reading of the finished guidance, it does appear improved but it's taken a lot of extra pages to get there!
  • fermifermi Forumite
    40.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fatbelly wrote: »
    Well, on a first reading of the finished guidance, it does appear improved but it's taken a lot of extra pages to get there!

It is much much longer. :undecided

The OFT also seems to have gone a bit mad with excessive use of footnotes, text boxes and rather rambling explanations.

Makes it rather confusing and difficult to read and take in.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• edited 20 October 2011 at 7:52AM
    fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    15.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Cashback Cashier Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 October 2011 at 7:52AM
    Yeah, I found this a bit confusing:
    h. failing to confirm, formally and unequivocally, that an offer to settle a debt, accompanied by the relevant payment, has been accepted as full and final settlement of that debt (when this is
    the case)

OK, that sounds good, except that the offer precedes the relevant payment, if the debtor has any sense. But it's good to see that the OFT uses the phrase 'full and final settlement ' when creditors are reluctant to do so.

But then:
    i. failing to make the debtor fully aware of the status of the debt where:
    a. the debtor has offered a settlement payment lower than the total amount owing and/or
    b. the creditor decides to no longer pursue the debt, and informs the debtor that this is the case

and then a text box:
    The debtor should be made aware that the debt still exists (where this is the case) and could be pursued at a later date and that even if the creditor itself commits not to further pursue the debt, the debt could still subsequently be purchased from the creditor by another business that may decide to pursue the debt.

So they're saying that it's OK to accept a sum in settlement (or even full & final settlement) and then sell it on for someone else to pursue???

Edit: The account would probably command a better sell-on price at this point as it would count as recently acknowledged!
  • fermifermi Forumite
    40.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fatbelly wrote: »
    So they're saying that it's OK to accept a sum in settlement (or even full & final settlement) and then sell it on for someone else to pursue???

I had the same concern/confusion about that bit?

I was considering emailing the OFT for clarification, as that would be an quite outrageous thing for the OFT to consider acceptable. [email protected]

• CrabmanCrabman Forumite, Board Guide
    9.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I'm a Volunteer Board Guide Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dom Littlewood on The One Show last night mentioned a debt not being able to be enforced until a dispute is resolved.

I know very little about this topic so I may have interpreted what he said incorrectly but here's a link to the clip for those more in the know:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b016959g/?t=7m22s

(clip should start at 7:20 ish)
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• vikingaerovikingaero Forumite
    10.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the OFT say it then that'll make everything OK won't it? After all how many complaints have been made about DCA's and how many have had their licences withdrawn? Most of the DCA's put on a public face of compliance and press agents to behave differently. We still have scumbag companies like Lowells and Capquest who issue false Statutory Demands.
    The man without a signature.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support