PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Where to shop?

Options
I am trying to cut back on food shopping. It's not the food that is the issue but the place I shop and how often.

I have bipolar disorder and part of that can make me feel really scared to go out alone :( I do a big shop on ASDA once a month online , and in an ideal world I'd stock up on what I've run out of (fruit, veg , milk, bread) at say Lidi's

However I end up doing in at Tesco's online (cos you don't need to do a £25 minimum order) I just feel really guilty cos I'm using a delivery every week, so it cost me £3.00 + I'm sure shopping would be cheaper at lidi's

Sorry probably no solution to this if I can't go alone. I probably could but the stress of two buses and the shop would overwhelm me .
:j £2 coins = £2.00 :j

Comments

• purple45
    purple45 Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should take into account that when you're paying a delivery charge for shopping you're not paying for petrol or bus fares! It would cost me more to go to Tesco than it costs for a delivery. I always pick the cheapest delivery times though and always buy in bulk. How much would your bus fare be? Also I think its easier to consider shopping costs and not overspend if you're doing it on the internet rather than in the shop!
    Many thanks to everyone who posts competitions and works so hard to provide all the answers!
    Best wins this year so far: £100 Hobbycraft Voucher, £50 cash, GoPro Camera
  • PixieDust
    PixieDust Posts: 944 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I'm bipolar too, so I understand the difficulties sometimes :) As Purple45 said above, you are not paying for travelling costs, and nor are you risking making yourself have a relapse/partial repapse by forcing yourself into situations at times when you can't handle them. What price your health? :)

Nor are you risking succumbing to the so-called special offers which aren't really, nor the treats by the till. You can make yourself a cup of what you fancy, make a few clicks, ensure that it all fits within your budget and checkout, all within the comfort of your own home :D Asda sometimes offer an 8 hour delivery slot which is cheaper, so if you are ever in all day it can be worth taking advantage of that :)
  • caitybabes
    Options
    Hello,

Just wondered if a partial solution might be to help you need 'top up' shopping less often than once a week. To do this, you might consider freezing your milk and bread, buying frozen veg and, depending on what fruit you like you could keep it in the fridge for extra freshness for longer, or buy tinned pineapple etc.

This might help you only do an online shop once a fortnight, saving £6 a month-ish, worth £72 a year which would be nice :)

Hope that helps,

Cait
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family