PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Store cupboard basics

Options
Hi All

I'm looking for some advice on store cupboard basics. Herbs and spices mainly. I already keep lots of baking ingredients in and the usual rice, pasta etc.

What I'm aiming for is to make more meals from scratch without using store bought jars of sauce etc.

I would be really grateful if you could tell me what you keep in stock and what you use it for.

TIA

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi fruit-loop,

I wouldn't go out and buy a lot of storecupboard items, but make a meal plan each week and if a new ingredient crops up then buy it and try to incorporate it into your next week's plan.

These threads will give you an idea of what others like to keep in their basic store cupboards:

Storecupboard Essentials

Essential herbs and spices

I'll add your thread to the first link later.

Pink
  • fruit-loop
    Options
    Thanks Pink winged.:T Thats just what I was looking for.
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a great list in the front of Jamie's Ministry Of Food, if you can borrow a copy of that. It's not just herbs but odd things like anchovies, mustard, frozen veg etc but I bought the lot on my last grocery shop and now have most things for most recipes.
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ragz wrote: »
    There's a great list in the front of Jamie's Ministry Of Food, if you can borrow a copy of that. It's not just herbs but odd things like anchovies, mustard, frozen veg etc but I bought the lot on my last grocery shop and now have most things for most recipes.
    Must say it's a fab book :j:D
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills