'Reports that "Tesco sales hit a 20 year-low" AREN'T true' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• tagq2
    tagq2 Posts: 382 Forumite
    You're not being a pedant but your previous news article - "UK economic growth slower than first thought" - buys into the panic that everything must get bigger.

Stability is not a bad thing. There's more to invest in than growth funds.
  • ScarletBea
    ScarletBea Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No, you're not pedantic.
    It's definitely wrong to say that sales are at a 20-year low, since that it not true.
    Is it that much harder to write "sales growth at a 20-year low"?
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • oldvicar
    oldvicar Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Journalistic standards are lower than they were 20 years ago?

Frankly, I understood what the news features meant. News nowadays is always 'live' and rushed out without thought, so I have had to learn not to take it at face value and automatically apply my 'reasonableness' filter.
  • Photogirl
    Photogirl Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I agree with Martin, it's irresponsible journalism. Seeing as we're just a matter of time away from being renamed Tescoland, it's wildly inaccurate to suggest its sales are worse than 20 years ago. I guess the old maxim 'There are lies, damn lies and statistics' still holds true.
  • fixx
    fixx Posts: 792 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You're not being pedantic - I read it and knew it was wrong, and what they were trying to say. And then laughed that so many people who are effectively paid to write got it so wrong!

It would be nice to think that people who are hired to write material suitable for publishing, and the editors paid to make sure something was correct, could put together a sensible and correct headline. It seems that is asking for too much nowadays though :doh:
  • poorbutrich
    poorbutrich Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Totally agree! The first time I heard it on the radio I assumed it was a mistake and that they would correct it for the next bulletin, but no!

The phrasing is totally wrong, and I did joke to my DH that we should go shopping there to help save their failing business!
    Overpay!
  • Stryder
    Stryder Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    Perfromance is not equating to sales. the key word was performance, which means a variety of things, aquisitions, sales %/growth, etc. I do not think people in this country are so unobservant, or stupid, to assume Tesco's empire is pulling in less cash than 20 years ago. What is it with this Tesco obsession Martin??? There are other supermarkets, and dare I say, retailers out there
    ............... Have you ever wondered what
    ¦OO¬¬ O[]¦ Martin would look like
    ¦ _______ ¦ In a washing machine
    ¦ ((:money:)) ¦
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
  • Stryder
    Stryder Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    tagq2 wrote: »
    You're not being a pedant but your previous news article - "UK economic growth slower than first thought" - buys into the panic that everything must get bigger.

Stability is not a bad thing. There's more to invest in than growth funds.

Sadly the capitalist modeled economy growth is necessary and stabity (in terms of growth or recession actually a sign of failure, particularly with a growing world population.
    ............... Have you ever wondered what
    ¦OO¬¬ O[]¦ Martin would look like
    ¦ _______ ¦ In a washing machine
    ¦ ((:money:)) ¦
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Not all journalists are as well researched, well read & committed to getting the right facts at the right time across as you, Martin.
    You may possibly be a pedant, but you're in likeminded company! :beer:
  • jjblondie
    jjblondie Posts: 340 Forumite
    I assumed what it meant correctly, but you are right to be pedantic, as I am sure many people would take the story at face value instead of thinking "Oh, that doesn't sound right, they must mean x."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure