Real Life MMD: should I buy the new baby a gift?

Options
When my nephew got married 2 months ago, he didn't invite any of us aunts and uncle from his mother's side. We hadn't fallen out and were not sure of the reason. His bride was pregnant and they said it would be a quiet do although about 50 guests were present as it turned out. We nevertheless sent cards, gifts and cheques which he cashed, but 2 months later, to add insult to injury we have had no word of acknowledgement or thanks. The baby is due very soon, do you think I should buy this child a gift after the lack of gratitude for my gift and if I do, is there a way I could tactfully prompt some kind of acknowledgment from him?

Comments

• LMCD
    LMCD Posts: 649 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    WHy don't you try to arrange to meet new baby after a while to give a gift and am sure then you will get a thanks to your face, babies don't choose to come in to this world so its up to you if you think that merits a welcome to the world or not from yourself, whether you get the thanks you deserve or not.
  • saterkey
    saterkey Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    I would perhaps send them a card wishing them congratulations, with a shiny new pound coin for the baby, wish them well, say they are welcome to pop around anytime. Post it and move on. Youve done your bit, shouldnt feel any guilt and its up to them to follow it up. Lifes too short to mull stuff over too much.
  • Squire_Fulwood
    Options
    No ....sod him.

1. He didn't invite any aunts and uncles from his mother's side which is a bit of a clue.
    2. You are looking for gratitude instead of it being a straight out unconditional gift.

I don't think you are going to get on so you might as well quit now.
    It's not my fault your honour, they made me do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure