PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dyeing a karate suit

Options
streetfighter-danhibiki.gif

Hi, My son is going to a Games Expo as the above character. I have found karates suits on ebay and there is a choice of cotton or polyester/cotton mix. Would the cotton only one dye more evenly? I have never dyed anything before and don't have a clue what would work the best. The pink shade he wants is slightly lighter than in the picture. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shame your not my neighbour. The wife would have it pink in seconds. Just like my socks.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi minimad,

Dye takes much better on natural fibres so you'd be better to buy the cotton one. I have dyed many things successfully using dylon washing machine dyes with no problems afterwards with either the washing machine or subsequent washes so would recommend them.

Their website is here: Dylon and they are widely available.

Pink
  • minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks Pink, I've had a look at the Dylon website. There's a Powder pink and Flamingo pink, neither look quite the right shade. Do you know if you can mix 2 together? Thanks.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Pink, I've had a look at the Dylon website. There's a Powder pink and Flamingo pink, neither look quite the right shade. Do you know if you can mix 2 together? Thanks.

I'm sorry, I don't but I might be tempted to give it a try. :)

Pink
  • minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't but I might be tempted to give it a try. :)

Pink
    I've just sent Dylon an email. Thanks for your help.
  • Xaniwoop
    Xaniwoop Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    Flamingo pink is a REALLY bright hot pink. About the colour of the 'ones not to miss' box on the right of the screen. The colours do get significantly lighter if you use more fabric to dye than recommended - it wouldn't be a very exact way but might help you get an 'in between' shade.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure