🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Spendaholics last night

Options
I was wondering how much the actual debt was last night. I didn't catch the start so i don't know how much the 35000 euros was in pounds.

Comments

• steve700
    steve700 Posts: 312 Forumite
    Options
    I think it was about £24,000 and they had solicitor's letters and everything....

14 swimming costumes for 14 days holiday - How many other 7 year old kids have that....!!:eek:
  • Xenomorhic
    Options
    I know. Poor kid slumming it in 'only 4' when they went away!! LOL. I never had that many cossies! I think I had 3 once for a fortnight, a cozzie, a two piece, and a bikini...

I was pretty shocked about the bit regarding the riding school, I felt that was inaccurate. I think very very few stables would accept a 7 year old on a work for rides basis these days, they're so stifled by legalities and insurance issues- and I'd be wary of any that would! I know it wouldn't happen where I am.
    When you're going through Hell, Keep going!
    If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation
    Just when you think human beings can't get any stupider, they get behind the wheel of a car...
    Become eternally poor in one easy step- decide to love Horses... :rolleyes:
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    steve700 wrote:
    I think it was about £24,000 and they had solicitor's letters and everything....

14 swimming costumes for 14 days holiday - How many other 7 year old kids have that....!!:eek:
    Mine have 2 pairs of trunks each.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• scootw1
    scootw1 Posts: 2,165 Forumite
    Options
    i don't understand why they said it was the most serious case they have ever dealt with. Is this because of the letters they had had? There have been people with bigger debts than that.
  • bank_of_slate
    bank_of_slate Posts: 12,922 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I missed it last night :(
    I usually watch it to make me feel better!
    ...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
  • scootw1
    scootw1 Posts: 2,165 Forumite
    Options
    I think it is repeated Sunday (and maybe tomorrow?)
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    Most likely they had let it get so bad with final demands and such.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Options
    14 swimming costumes???? I'm 32 and don't think I've owned that many in total, never mind all at once!
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • Xenomorhic
    Options
    It was the level of legal involvement I think, but they didn't talk enough about that really, they just really skimmed over so much in this particular show.

At one point there was a letter saying there'd be a warrant issued for her arrest? When was that done?! Were there more?! How long did she have?!

Another thing that shocked me- when that psych bloke played back the video of the lady getting upset and talking to him, to her friends- she acted shocked that he was doing that. If it was REALLY a shock to her, she wants to sue that bloke for everything he's got. Surely it constitutes a breach of some kind of confidentiality?! I studied psychology and I'm pretty sure that it was taken pretty seriously that when you dealt with someone, it stayed between the two of you, it was totally private, or how is a patient ever going to trust you? That really had me amazed.

-Edit to add, I realise I didn't explain that that well, yes I know it all surfaced on TV anyway, but she surely will have had a chance to know what goes out there and veto it in advance. If she didn't know exactly what was going to be presented to friends and family and did not have the chance to stop that happening, and it was me, I'd have been foaming!
    When you're going through Hell, Keep going!
    If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation
    Just when you think human beings can't get any stupider, they get behind the wheel of a car...
    Become eternally poor in one easy step- decide to love Horses... :rolleyes:
  • poorbutrich
    poorbutrich Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought the lady did very well in the end, and just goes to show that if you put your mind to it, you can turn even the worst debt situations around.
    Overpay!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family