I'm new and need a bit of help

Options
Hi

I have been getting Martin's e mails for some time now but this is the first time I have been on the chat forum. Last year I contacted CCCS and restructured my debt, they told me I would have my debt £28,000 paid off in approx 8 years. I now have another problem. My husband also has similar debt which he has been paying off on his own, but on 3 credit cards alone only covering the minimum amount which we both know is not good. He has the opportunity to re-train for a job that will earn him about 3 times as much as he is getting now. Problem is what he earns just about covers his debt, i.e. if he gave up some of his hours to study he wouldn't be earning. Our only option I can see is if he contacts CCCS also, BUT we will need to move from our flat to a house once he is qualified and although I haven't got my credit files since I contacted CCCS I know what the story will be. SO if his credit also gets affected by going to CCCS how will we ever get another mortgage? (He applied for another credit card last year a 0% one and got knocked back with the inference in the letter being an associated party being the issue i.e. ME) I also think I am pregnant, haven't told a soul yet, too early, not even husband (it is wanted). Sorry to rant on this being my first posting, but I had a flash of inspiration at 2.30am this morning when I couldn't sleep that I had seen these forums before and maybe either someone is in a similar situation or knew of a way out. I am also looking to get promoted at work (more££) but that may not happen as quickly as we want.

Thank you
Facingmyproblems

Debt free in Dec 2016
:eek:

Comments

• LittleL_4
    Options
    Hi and welcome. :hello: I'm with CCCS and I'm sure they have a list of mortgage companies who they use/recommend for people like yourself on a DMP. It's worth giving them a call, good luck!

Or another alternative is to rent for a while...

keep your spirits high it'll all work out..

Little L

ps congrats if you're pregnant!
    Debt 28/12/06 £26,467
    £20 grocery challenge per week
    Savings £400
    £2 coins - £8.00
    DMP £357 pcm (CCCs) commenced 1/10/06
    DFD :think:
    proud to be dealing with my debts
  • bank_of_slate
    bank_of_slate Posts: 12,922 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Facing,

I think you have just had your 'lightbulb moment'

Can you contact CCCS and run through all the details with them? right now you're worrying about all the what ifs and mights, get some definitive answers sooner rather than later, that'll help you to make decisions...

Some people find it helpful to post a full SOA (Statement Of Accounts) We are experts at spotting extra areas where you could make savings! Sit down with your hubby and write down ALL incomings and outgoings, no matter how small.

huge congrats on the pregnancy!
    Good luck babe
    ...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
  • SSB
    SSB Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    Just a quick hi since I am off to do some advising at CAB. Please do your SOA, I find it is agreat way to focus your finances. I will log on later to see how you are doing.
    Take care
    SSB :D
  • facingmyproblems
    Options
    thanks, my husband and I are going to sit down on Sunday and go through everything. It's been a sobering day today but I'm glad we are facing it. I have e mailed CCCS to ask about mortgages for people like me just waiting to hear back from them, thank god they exist.
    Facingmyproblems

Debt free in Dec 2016
    :eek:
  • OberonSH
    OberonSH Posts: 1,792 Forumite
    Options
    Hey lady, welcome and congrats if congrats are due!

Will hubby have to give up work to take the training, or is is through work? Can he get any grants to see him through it, or claim some sort of benefits?

Morgages are not so big a problem nowadays, you may have to find a bigger deposit and deal with a bifgger rate, but once credit problems are sorted you could simply shift to a better rate. Pop up a SOA once you're done, and we'll see what we can help you with.

And don;t forget, if you need some help, advice or just some place to rant and moan and be among like minded, likewise-skint people then this place is always open, always welcoming and always proud of you and your efforts
    This year I'm getting organised once and for all, and going to buy a house with my wonderful other half. And that' s final!

Current Pay Off Target : £1500 :mad:
  • OberonSH
    OberonSH Posts: 1,792 Forumite
    Options
    And don;t forget, 2014 is the MAXIMUM date, hopefully we'll be able to chop that for you!
    This year I'm getting organised once and for all, and going to buy a house with my wonderful other half. And that' s final!

Current Pay Off Target : £1500 :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport