PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Woollen Dress - dry clean only

Options
My daughter bought a pure wool dress at a vintage fair, when she got it home we realised that it was dry clean only. Does any body have any ideas for the the best way to clean the dress.

Thanks

Sue

Comments

• Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that a very cool wash would be best, i don`t normally use fabric conditioner but think that i would for this,a short spin and dry flat naturally to keep its shape.

Too much heat either washing it or drying it will ruin it so cool is the way to go.

I have seen a thread on drycleaning things at home somewhere but i can`t for the life of me find it.

HTH

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • shandyclover
    Options
    I once bought a coat at a car boot sale, without checking the label. Got it home and found out it was pure wool and dry clean only! Called up my granny and mentioned my dilema, she said wash it on COLD, handwash machine cycle with a little woolwash and fabric softner, drying it on a hanger. I really could not wear it without washing it, and so took the plunge. Turned out brilliantly - served me for a good 5 years, with me washing it a few times a year following granny's instructions.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• shandyclover
    Options
    I once bought a coat at a car boot sale, without checking the label. Got it home and found out it was pure wool and dry clean only! Called up my granny and mentioned my dilema, she said wash it on COLD, handwash machine cycle with a little woolwash and fabric softner, drying it on a hanger. I really could not wear it without washing it, and so took the plunge. Turned out brilliantly - served me for a good 5 years, with me washing it a few times a year following granny's instructions.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    I have a pure wool dress, but it doesn't say dry clean only, it says hand wash. I hand wash it in cool water and dry it flat and it's fine. (well, I say that...I've done it about twice...the rest of the time it sits at the bottom of my washing basket and gets passed over along with another dress that is hand wash only...worst purchases I ever made!)

I suppose they must have washed wool in the days before they had dry cleaning...
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    my nan always told me to wash woollen items in warmish water using soap flakes (Lux in the old days - no idea if its still available). then rinse in progressively cooler water and add a drop of vinegar to the last rinse. after wrapping the item up in a fluffy towel and twisting it to remove most of the water, pull into shape and dry flat.
    of course I dont bother with all that palaver - I bung it in the machine on the wool cycle at 30 degrees!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure