New job, new start!

hjaneahjanea Forumite
121 Posts
Forumite
Hi all,
I've been an avid reader of this forum for a while and have decided that the best way to try and keep myself on the straight and narrow is to write my own diary.

I start a new job next week-part time as I'm a single mum and I really want to see this as a new start. I recieved my last wage from my old job today (though I may be owed some holiday pay-I hope so) and as my new job works on a wage payment every 4 weeks I will get paid in 4 weeks time but for 3 weeks work so will have to use a little (note I've said little!!) of my emergency fund to be able to eat in november.

I have inventories of my freezers and at the moment I'm trying to base all our main meals around the contents. Unfortunately I love shopping and cannot resist a bargain-be it clothes or food so after I've withdrawn the necessary cash later I shall be removing my DC from my purse.
My CC's have been removed. I'm having some fertility treatment which I paid for yesterday-£1500 on the [email protected], added to the almost £2000 thats already on there. This and another card with just less than £1000 on are both at 0% and I'm paying £100 a month off each. My M&S card has around £35 on it from amazon payments for xmas presents so this will get paid out of my 'christmas and birthday fund' that I contribute to year round.

At the same time as paying these off I am trying to save £20 a month and whatever is left in my purse at the end of each week into our 'disney fund'. The £20 is an SO and the leftover purse money goes into my sealed pot. This as helped me try and keep to my mealplan so that I have something left at the end of the week for the disney pot and it has also helped my DD to think about saving towards something she really wants-when she does the usual "can I have??" then I have to point out that that is money that won't get into the pot and it seems to be working. We've only been doing this for about 3 months and I think theres at least £50 in there.

I also save £20 a month for DD (not much but what I can afford), £50 into an ISA thats my emergency fund and £100 into an account that then covers house insurance, car insurance, car tax, MOT etc and a little towards DD's birthday.

Once I do a proper month at the new work I will be earning around £40 per month less but will get 13 payments over the year instead of the 12 I've been used to for the last 10 years. My gross wage will be less so my tax credits will go up a little. I'm going to try and keep the 13th wage which will be next november I think, possibly to put towards next christmas and disney, but its a long time off yet!!

Right thats it for now, got some washing to put away before I go and collect DD from school.
Helen. Single mum to DD(7) and 2 siamese cats. Trying to decrease my debt and spending and increase my savings and lose weight-30lbs so far!
Sealed pot challenge-1373-2011-£80.52!!!! .Disney savings-£378.17 + sealed pot.
CCs-virgin1-73.58,virgin2-131.44,fluid-1650.75,sainsburys-1289.56-all 0%.Total-3145.33
August GC- 44.91/ 250. NSDs-2/3.

Replies

• Hi hjanea...just popping by to say Hi and I look forward to reading your diary :)
    As of September 2011:
    Argos - £86.00 - Reclaiming Mis-sold PPI too! ~ Student Loan - £?
    Natwest ->(CC) - £130.00 (OD) - £212.00 OD
    Lloyds TSB ->(OD) - £1500 OD (CC) - £1179.47
  • Hi hjanea,

Looking forward to reading your diary, the support I've had on mine has helped more than I can say so I'm giving you my support :)

Good Luck!
    Santander 0% £1,529.94
    Sainsbury's 0% £4,371.31
    Total 0% £5,901.25
    AIM: Pay off debt & simultaneously save for deposit to buy a house by Oct 2020.
    Mar Challenge: Stay within groceries & eating out budget.
  • hjaneahjanea Forumite
    121 Posts
    Forumite
    Went to [EMAIL="w@itrose"][email protected][/EMAIL] yesterday evening to buy catfood as its on offer (2 boxes of w***kas sachets for £5) so I got the 20 boxes I'd intended which is around 5 weeks worth. I intend today, bearing in mind I could have very little money for november, to go to Mr S and get some w***kas tins too as these are also on offer. So another £24 today and that'll be the catfood sorted until december.
    I sorted out £300 of my months cash last night( well £2.50 after paying for the catfood) and will get out another £120 today-some again for the catfood. I try to work on £30 a week for groceries and £40 a month spare. The rest gets distributed between envelopes-
    petrol-£50, and then christmas, rainyday (school trips, tennis, swimming and dance and drama lessons for DD and anything she needs associated with these) and treats-days out , cinema, meals out etc. I also have a clothing envelope which I'm awful at not putting anything in(I don't know why???) and a holiday one. We are going away in a few weeks so a bit of spending money and the money to pay for someone to look after my cats is already saved in there.

In theory, with mealplanning etc this should all work well. However if my CC is in my purse then it all goes haywire. I think that something in my brain thinks well I've got so much on the CC for the treatments whats a little more??? Unfortunately I think we all know that a little more leads to a little more and on and on and it gets unmanagable. So I have to STOP!!!

Right, the house is a tip so I want to get that shipshape before we go to mums. DD is going to clear up her room-hmm last time this happened things just got flung in random drawers and the wardrobe-I went to put her school tops away and the drawer was full of carp!! So I've suggested she puts things away if she knows where they go and those that she doesnt she puts on the bed and we'll sort them together.

So list for today;
    put away washing
    tidy DD's room
    tidy my room
    mealplan for the next week
    tidy kitchen
    take 20 boxes of catfood outof the car and put in the loftroom-good exercise!!

that'll do for now. If we can get everywhere tidied then I can get the whole place cleaned tomorrow whilst DD is at her Grandmas.
    Helen. Single mum to DD(7) and 2 siamese cats. Trying to decrease my debt and spending and increase my savings and lose weight-30lbs so far!
    CCs-virgin1-73.58,virgin2-131.44,fluid-1650.75,sainsburys-1289.56-all 0%.Total-3145.33
  • hjaneahjanea Forumite
    121 Posts
    Forumite
    All jobs on list done so off to mums now to get DD's bike tire pumped up and the seat and handlebars hightened. Then a walk with her riding-she still has one stabiliser on-don't ask!!!
    Run out of time to do the shopping so hopefully an NSD today!!
  • hjaneahjanea Forumite
    121 Posts
    Forumite
    Got DD's bike partially sorted at mums-brakes still aren't very good. However we went for a walk/ride in the sushine then played in the garden with my Auntie.
    Plans for today-
    Make twinks, suppercake and veg soup.
    Do mince for bolognese and shepherds pie.
    Clean and tidy everywhere.
    Go to Mr S-get money, more catfood, pineapplejuice, mayo,meringues,onions,and possibly bread.
    Go to library-I finished my book last night and I can't not have a book to read.
    Ironing and sewing to do-they might have to wait until tomorrow.

Quite a list, need to get DD to Grandmas for a while so I can get on.
    She isn't looking forward to going as her dad and his GF will be popping in. They announced 3 weeks ago that they are getting married next year and want her to be a bridesmaid, but she doesn't want to do it if I'm not going to be there and told him so the other day so I think shes expecting some fallout today. Me being there would be bad as we were never properly a couple and TBH I wouldn't really trust any of his self obsessed family to be able to look after her for the day. Anyhow we'll have to cross that bridge nearer the time!!
    Right-first job, get dressed!!
  • hjaneahjanea Forumite
    121 Posts
    Forumite
    Well I've failed quite miserably with my list. Everything has seemed to take such a long time today.
    Anyhow all cooking done, just about to washup from tea then get DD to bed and then i'll do the ironing. The cleaning will have to wait until tomorrow.

Some good news-my parents paid off my mortgage several years ago and I repay £250 a month. I wanted to know how much I still owed-£26750-only £107 more months to pay. Just less than 9 years which is just great!! I'll be just under 52 and DD will be 15. So hopefully I'll still be in a position to save that amount every month towards helping DD with her future. What a great feeling.
  • Hey,

That's really good about your mortgage that's a nice position to be in!

Don't worry about your list, sometime it just doesn't happen! Hope all went went between DD and Dad...

Lg :)
    Santander 0% £1,529.94
    Sainsbury's 0% £4,371.31
    Total 0% £5,901.25
  • hjaneahjanea Forumite
    121 Posts
    Forumite
    Hi Lg,
    DD seemed to be ok, though her Dad rang after he'd been to his mums to say he'd had yet another argument with her and would rather see DD without his mother which could be difficult at a weekend and I think he'll have to sort it out. He said that DD was upstairs on the PC with his GF at the time and hadn't heard the argument-oh yeah-she couldn't wait to tell me about it!!!
    He had obviously at some point told her if she wasn't going to be bridesmaid they'd have to choose someone else which seems like a very unpleasant thing to say to her but she didn't seem bothered by it so I'm not going to make a big thing about it and see how she goes. She was a bridesmaid in the august for my sister and that involved a very strange wedding up a mountain so I think shes almost of the 'been there done that' mentality about it rather than being excited.
  • hjaneahjanea Forumite
    121 Posts
    Forumite
    Well it was the first day at the new job and I think it went OK and I'm looking forward to going back on friday so I think thats a good start.
    Had an NSD today-but spent yesterday and sunday. Mostly on necessary things and all the catfood is bought for next month in case I don't get paid much. Still got just over £10 in my purse but do have to pay for breakfast club for DD on friday which is just less than £3 I think-she doesn't go often. Apart from that I'm hoping not to shop until friday.
    I have worked out that if I am able to throw £200 a month at the CC's the debt should be cleared by august 2013. A long time but as they are at 0% and hopefully my credit is good enough to be able to get balance transfers once these 0% periods are up, it does mean that I can still live reasonably if I'm careful and save a little as well.
  • Well done on day 1! It's a good sign when you're looking forward to going back...

Sounds like the debt busting is going well :)

Thought I'd written back to your post before... sorry! At least DD isn't too fussed, that wouldn't have been pleasant if she was looking forward to it
    Santander 0% £1,529.94
    Sainsbury's 0% £4,371.31
    Total 0% £5,901.25
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals