Cons of having 2 or more part time jobs?

Options
I've been unemployed for a few months and I'm desperate to go back to work. The problem is: I can't find a suitable full time job, so, I'm thinking about getting 2 or more part time jobs (call centre, supermarket, admin, shops, etc).

The advantage would be that I would have more variety, learn different skills and make more contacts (which could potentially help me find something better).

What are the tax implications of this choice compared to a full time job? Anything else I should be aware of? Would I be able to get a mortgage?

Cheers

Comments

• t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The problems are that you need to find jobs with definite days. My part-time job has varied days so I can't do another job alongside. But if you can find two jobs that butt together nicely I can't see a problem. Tax would be the same as in one job and you'd actually pay less NI than with a single job. If both jobs are permanent I can't see why a mortgage wouldn't be possible but someone else may confirm that.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can be a disadvantage on NI if both part time jobs have earnings under the lower earnings limit for NI but full time was over the lower earnings limit. This would mean that as far as NI was concerned you would not be getting any payments credited that would count towards pension, contrbutory benefits etc.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 September 2011 at 1:45PM
    Options
    Even if the days butt together well normally many jobs like call centres often have full time mon-fri training at the beginning which could be difficult for you with multiple jobs

If the jobs are similar it can also be challenging switching between them. Did work for 2 call centres at the same time once and a few times answered the phone with the other companies salutation.
  • f1goldenbeach
    Options
    Tortoise, Chrisbur and Insideinsurance, many thanks for your replies. I'll keep them in mind.

I would also be interested to read further opinions.
  • originator
    Options
    Hi Op,I work in a school cleaning(both shifts am and pm) and do supermarket till weekends,bit knackering but worth it financially to me and at least I have a guaranteed break every 6 or 7 weeks.It also keeps me out of the pub x
    mortgage free 3/10/12:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport