can anyone help - cookie in a jar recipe - lactose free

Options
hi there

i've seen threads on here in the past for gifts in a jar & like the idea of making a cookie kit for a friends children, however her daughter can't have any dairy, can anyone help??

many thanks

sarah

Comments

• BlueSD
    BlueSD Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Depending on the recipe and the specific dairy allergy (can the child eat soya for example), you should still be able to do cookie mix in a jar.

If you're planning on putting in chocolate chips, you can get soya/dairy free chocolate buttons from most of the main supermarkets - look in their free-from sections and you should get a good choice.

Personally I would recommend S*insburys as being the best as their free from range is phenomenal. My children both suffer from food allergies (1 = wheat, gluten and dairy free, 2 = egg, wheat, soya and dairy free!) and it is do-able to bake even with these.

Good luck!
  • boredjellybean
    Options
    BlueSD wrote: »
    Depending on the recipe and the specific dairy allergy (can the child eat soya for example), you should still be able to do cookie mix in a jar.

If you're planning on putting in chocolate chips, you can get soya/dairy free chocolate buttons from most of the main supermarkets - look in their free-from sections and you should get a good choice.

Personally I would recommend S*insburys as being the best as their free from range is phenomenal. My children both suffer from food allergies (1 = wheat, gluten and dairy free, 2 = egg, wheat, soya and dairy free!) and it is do-able to bake even with these.

Good luck!

Thanks ever so much - I hadn't thought of using chocolate for that reason, didn't occur to me to try free from!! In which case I guess it should be fairly easy to adapt most recipes as they'll be adding their own butter substitute to cook with any way

thanks again
  • jemb
    jemb Posts: 910 Forumite
    Options
    I'm lactose intollrant too. Kinnerton chocolate (all i've come across but check) is dairy free. If you need milk for it go for lactofree (normal milk section green and white carton white half a cows face on) and butter you're best with vitalite (dairy free) not the soya crap!
    Married the lovely Mr P 28th April 2012. Little P born 29th Jan 2014
  • LalaGomay
    LalaGomay Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    I use Vitalite too! I find soya spreads disgusting.
    *fellow lactose intolerant high-five*

I also take Prolactazyme Forte pills so that I can eat dairy if I want it. But you can't always take a pill before you eat everything. They are kind of like magic though.
    :rudolf: :rudolf: :rudolf: :rudolf: :rudolf:
  • jemb
    jemb Posts: 910 Forumite
    Options
    High 5 Lala! I've never heard of those, where do you get them from?
    Married the lovely Mr P 28th April 2012. Little P born 29th Jan 2014
  • LalaGomay
    LalaGomay Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    I get them here http://www.foodreactions.org/products/li.html

They're flipping amazing. It's really sad that more lactose intolerants don't know about them. You just take one and 10 minutes later you can eat as much cheese/chocolate/cream as you want!
    :rudolf: :rudolf: :rudolf: :rudolf: :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport