PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Quick Chicken Question

Options
Just opened a pack of Chicken breasts that are well within date. There was a bit of a smell off them and I'm wondering if they are OK? Is it just because they have been packed a while. The smell has subsided now - but I don't fancy food poisoning! What do you think - to use or not to use?
I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.

Comments

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Have they been stored properly? If so, and there isnt a smell now, then i would cook them and try (if it looks ok, smells ok, tastes ok, then it prob is ok) - if there is still a hint of a dodgy smell, i think i would take them back to the shop (as they are within date).
    If it is off, then the 'off' smell wouldnt disapear, but you have to be careful, especially with raw chicken!!!
  • allIcouldwishfor
    Options
    It's normally that blood filled blotting paper at the bottom of the meat that's the culprit.

If the meat itself doesn't smell then if it were me I'd use it. If not, take it back to the shop, with the packaging if possible, as catowen says.
    I like cooking with wine......sometimes I even put it in the food!
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    give them a rinse under the tap- if they still smell then they are probably off. off chicken makes me physically boke - so i'm the tester lol. it is probably the packaging like others have said
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • atticgirl2003
    Options
    If in doubt throw it out.

:j :j
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Even if its the packaging it could have turned the chicken off. Don't chance it-take it back for a refund.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport