Debt free by 31

Options
Morning all and welcome to my debt free diary. After reading how keeping one of these has helped others, I thought I would start my own to help keep me motivated.

A little history... I come from a debt recovery background (boo...hiss) so disappointed that I got myself into this position. Whilst training as a driving instructor in 2008 I got a car from a finance company that charged 48% apr :mad: plus I had my training fees to cover. Anyway in 2009 I qualified and took a franchise, got given a car and therefore got a loan to settle my fees and the car finance. I also managed to get a credit card from Virgin and quickly built up my balance to the credit limit £3000. June 2010, I got a barclaycard and transferred the virgin balance to it - didn't close the Virgin card and that balance quickly grew whilst paying for fuel etc.

Eventually got to the stage in May where I wanted to give up my franchise and go independent - everyone I spoke to said that they never regretted this decision, sorted my new car out etc for delivery in August and thought great.

Eventually thought, who am I kidding, I'm robbing peter to pay paul. Was having sleepless nights 2-3 times a week and was starting to worry (at this stage it might be a good idea to say me and my partner are also trying to save for a wedding next year which was also adding to my worry). I spoke to the loan company and agreed a 10% payment for two months which helped but I wasn't looking forward to the negotiations after that.

I managed to get a second job at a supermarket miles away, but that was only just helping - I loved the job though, and felt valued for once, unlike being a driving instructor!

Fast forward to August, the morning of delivery of the new car. I had bottled everything up long enough. I had had another sleepless night and just broke down in front of my OH. I had signed up to a 18 month contract paying £160 per week and couldn't see myself living much longer (sounds drastic, but with two driving jobs and being so tired, it was an accident waiting to happen). I was shocked when she listened, didn't shout etc and just basically said we would sort it.

She looked at my car contract, saw a clause which she was concerned about and said go to the CAB to get them to have a look. Unfortunately the CAB were as useful as a chocolate fireguard. In the end I rang the leasing company (very friendly company and also didn't want to let them down). Ended up telling them all my troubles and that I had fallen out of love with the job, was surprised when they said they will take the car back but want their up front costs of £2000 - i.e. a months rental, insurance for the whole contract, roof box, business cards and a few other things.

Now the next hard thing was to admit all this to my parents. After much discussion, my mum shocked me (as she has her own debt problems) and said she can get me £10k and I can repay at £200 per month for 5 years (add interest etc) That was last month and I paid the following to the companies owed:

Zopa - £3300 (now nothing owed)
Barclaycard - £2600 (now nothing owed)
Car lease company - £2020 (now nothing owed)
HMRC - £1590 (last years income tax and NI4 - reduced payment on account to nil as no profit this year)
Santander overdraft £150 (now withdrawn)
Fuel card payments - £150

Re-paid my pupils who had paid up front for lessons.

The remainder has gone on fuel to get to work and paid for our weekly shops as my OH had been supporting us etc, also a few things for our wedding.

Tomorrow I have an interview for a temporary position doing what I used to do - Council Tax recovery. I'm aiming to keep my supermarket job, spoke to my manager who has agreed to try and get me a transfer to a more local store. This will give me an income of approx £1600 per month - double what I've earn't over the last few years so this should go a long way to helping us.

I still have the virgin money account but I'm paying £100 off now each month rather than the minimum payment of £60.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far, I do have a tendancy to waffle! Will update as often as I can.

G
I work in Council Tax recovery, any views are purely my own based on the information supplied.

Comments

• adi_clarke85
    Options
    Received some good money news yesterday - my deposit from the franchise I was in has been refunded, so that's another £170 back in the coffers. My nan also sent me a cheque for the wedding for a £1000 so feeling happy at the moment as that's nearly all paid for :-)

Todays mission is to avoid Asda so that I don't go and buy Fifa 12
    I work in Council Tax recovery, any views are purely my own based on the information supplied.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Best of luck with the debt free mission adi and especially well done for admitting to yourself that you needed to get out of the driving instructing - it's too easy to stay with something because you think you ought to.
  • adi_clarke85
    Options
    Thanks bugslet.

Absolutely buzzing now - just had a phone call from the council and they offered me the job! Just need Sainsburys to get me transferred and that would make my weekend :-D

Anyway, off to work - enjoy the sunshine everyone
  • adi_clarke85
    Options
    Left for work this morning, 18 miles down the road, checked my phone and had a text from the boss asking to ring before I left for work! D'oh! Rang and they said there are no deliveries for my van today so not to bother coming in! Note to self for tomorrow - check phone before leaving for work! Kind of glad as I was doing 14 hours today and have a bit of a hangover.

Now I'm at home nursing a poorly Alsatian, thinking about doing the ironing. Anything to avoid spending as intending on having a NSD today.
  • adi_clarke85
    Options
    Successful no spending day yesterday. Today managed to whittle away a few quid spending on snacks at work - really have to avoid the vending machine on these 14 hr shifts. Another one tomorrow, no change left so fingers crossed I don't go near a shop.

Pay day is on Friday, so looking forward to seeing my debt figures go down slightly.
  • adi_clarke85
    Options
    Had another NSD yesterday but can't see today being the same. Our dog has taken a turn for the worst and really struggling to move at the moment. He's only 7 so it's a real shame to see him in so much pain. Off to the vets in a couple of hours for some blood tests/X-rays.

It was pay day today, so the first £300 paid off my debts. Nice surprise as I got £60 more than expected but that would no doubt be taken up by the dogs vet bill.
  • adi_clarke85
    Options
    The dog has been at the vets since Friday and likely to be there until tomorrow whilst we are waiting for test results from Cambridge Uni. My other half is currently flying down the m1/a14 to deliver the blood tests. As of yesterday the bill was £380, and will be close to £700 by the end of this.

Apart from Saturday night when we brought some chicken for the dog to eat when visiting him and alcohol as we were fed up I haven't spent a thing since Wednesday.
  • adi_clarke85
    Options
    Spoke to two local stores re a transfer and the news is good, just need to go through HR - my boss suggested approaching them myself.

No unplanned spending this week and a NSD yesterday.

Dog finally came home yesterday but has to go back to the vets each day for injections etc.
  • adi_clarke85
    Options
    Wow, my mum just rang and knocked £2000 plus the resulting interest off their loan - no reason, just wanted to treat me.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Hi adi

Did they say what was wrong with your dog? It all gets to be a bit of a nightmare when they are ill. ( I have 5 dogs)

Worst van driving story I can tell you - went a did a delivery to portsmouth Navy Base, got there, went to book in, gave the note in to the guy in the booking in office and he says the immortal words,'this says Plymouth on the note...'. Well they both begin with P and end in mouth:o, so setting off and getting 18 miles - doddle!

Big :T to your Mum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport