Loans - are companies getting fussier??

Options
brody77
brody77 Posts: 231 Forumite
No offence intended to anyone at all on here - but my credit history is not in the same dire straits as many.
I have 3 credit cards, a mobile contract, a loan, my broadband & my monthly car repayments.

I applied for a loan from A&L (I am not an A&L customer) via peopleschampion.com (according to their equifax check, my score is excellent) and have been rejected via letter 2 days later.

The application asks the usual stuff - live at home, wages, etc.
It asks for outgoings, but leave out all outgoings you will clear with the loan.
This then showed me as having £250 a month outgoing - pretty fricking good I thought!

They seem to disagree.

So, are loan providers becoming more fussy these days?
The only payment I have missed in the past 6 months was one to my next directory account, and that was only because I paid it online so it took longer.

I was forced to change my bank account with BOS in April, and they messed up my direct debits for a month or so - could this be causing an issue?

I don't know if I should try BoS for a loan, as I hear it affects your score each time you apply?

Comments

• Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    Banks have been criticised heavily in the press for "irresponsible lending" over the last 6 months so it certainly wouldnt be surprising if they were becoming much stricter on lending
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Floxxie
    Floxxie Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have just been turned by Zopa; according to them we are A*. We wanted to borrow £3000 to clear a credit card where the 0% is ending three months before I thought it was so I thought no probs, we'll take a loan short term and pay it off in three months.

We have another 0% credit card with £3000 on it so £6k in all. The reason given was that we have too much credit! Four years ago we had £42k debt and didn't get turned down at all.

I'm just in the process of getting hold of the credit files just in case there are some fraudulent applications as I am amazed at the reason for decline.
    Mortgage start September 2015 £90000 MFiT #06
  • brody77
    brody77 Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    I can't help but feel it's down to Bank of Scotland messing up my account changeover last April, still contemplating applying somewhere else...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure