A nice tourist trail

Am taking some European teenagers on a 2-day trip to see "the Highlands" next month leaving from Edinburgh with an overnight in stay (already booked) in a Youth Hostel in Inverness. Am looking for inspiration.

Need to include a few of the usual suspects (ie Stirling/Urquhart Castle) but want to go off the beaten track to break the journey every couple of hours (boredom/car sickness etc) They are typical 16 year olds so nothing too heavy!

The waterfalls of Birks of Aberfeldy is always a winner so more of this kind of stop would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Nosht
    Nosht Posts: 744 Forumite
    Try to stay at Carbisdale Castle (Youth Hostel !) just a mile from Culrain station near Bonar Bridge. The setting is magnificent with many easy walks, scenery, glens & history.
    I don't know if its open after the summer but even the building is worth viewing.

N.
    Never be afraid to take a profit. ;)
    Keep breathing. :eek:
    Just because I am surrounded by FOOLS does not make me wise. :j
  • bonar
    bonar Posts: 228
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    you beat me too it carbisdale castle, falls of shin, salmon leaping wonderful place, my youngest really enjoys it. there is geocashing and crazy golf there too
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,679
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 27 September 2011 at 10:04PM
    Carbisdale Castle is "closed for refurbishment until November 2011".

It seems that refurb may be taking longer than scheduled as the site will not accept any bookings before January 2012 > http://www.syha.org.uk/hostels/highlands/carbisdale_castle.aspx

I would suggest Inverness is a bit ambitious for a two day (1 night?) trip. Too much time travelling. Pitlochry might have been a better destination for your road trip.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    What about stopping off at Aviemore, and timing it with a trip on the steam train to the Boat of Garten, or a trip up the funicular railway. That way if you stop off in Stirling then Aviemore you wont be travelling too far in one go.
    Every days a School day!
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Stirling Castle is great - Urquhart castle is a bunch or ruins but it IS Loch Ness, so stop off at the viewpoint rather than trekking down to it.

Consider buying Historic Scotland Memberships as it might work out a lot cheaper than paying separate entrance fees to go round them all.

We stopped off at Kingussie in the summer - nice stone built houses, plenty of chippies for a sit-in tea that's not too dear - and didn't have the skin on the fish like it did in Inverness last time we were there ;)
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure