PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

stew ? a few questions

Options
hi everyone... well i just pinched my mums slow cooker !! going to try to do stew tonight i chopped up carrots potatoes onions ect and put them in then the meat how much stock do i need to cover all the meat ect ? and what can i serve with it as its only a small pot really what sort of potatos can i put with it....?
sorry if these are daft questions but never done stew before :confused:
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    not sure about a slow cooker, but if I make stew on the hob I just put enough stock in to cover whatever's in the pot.

I like mash with my stew (because it's quick), but have done some with roasts, some with new potatos. Whatever you fancy really.
    Chips would be weird though :)

Also, don't know if you can do dumplings in a slow cooker, but stew just ain't the same without them :)
  • Missy79
    Missy79 Posts: 217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could just chop up some potatoes and put straight in the stew - might help to thicken it and fewer dishes :j
  • Carter_2
    Carter_2 Posts: 224 Forumite
    Options
    I made this last night on the hob and just put enough stock in to cover the contents in the pan. The potatoes were cooked in it as it thickened the liquid. I just ate it with thick buttered bread that I could dip into the liquid mmm!
  • liz.._4
    liz.._4 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    If you are doing veg in the sc remember to cut them up small and put them in the bottom as they take a long time to cook.
    :)
  • getcarter
    getcarter Posts: 898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do dumplings in my slow cooker, just make up as normal and put in for an hour, of course this only works if you are at home anyway. (can you freeze cooked dumplings, defrost and put in for 1/4 hr if in a hurry?:confused: )
  • Omertron
    Omertron Posts: 574 Forumite
    Options
    We like home made bread with our stew, if I haven't had the time for that then some posh rolls that are in the bargain section at the supermarket. Failing that mash is nice with stew.
    - = I also recognise the Robins and beep for them = -
  • Omertron
    Omertron Posts: 574 Forumite
    Options
    We like home made bread with our stew, if I haven't had the time for that then some posh rolls that are in the bargain section at the supermarket. Failing that mash is nice with stew.
    - = I also recognise the Robins and beep for them = -
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    You can have a good giggle and pick up alot of tips from here -->SC stew help for bloke please

:)
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mmmm stew always tastes better, and is thicker, the day after you make it

I usually make mine like this:-

Potatoes - chunky
    Carrots
    Turnip
    Onion
    (any other veg you like)

boil all the ingredients until the potatoes feel soft - add a tin of corned beef (chopped into chunks) and then add gravy granules until the desired consistency

A dash of brown sauce in the dish just adds a bit of bite :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport