We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

That last half inch....?

12357

Comments

  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    This is the bottle I'm talking about, it's only about 3" high and is glass. Love the stuff inside though. Not sure what I could add to get it out - toner?

    I'd try twisting a bit of cotton wool round the end of a bamboo skewer, to make an extra long cotton bud. Or take the pump bit off and leave the bottle turned upside down in a small plastic dish?
    Val.
  • valk_scot wrote: »
    I'd try twisting a bit of cotton wool round the end of a bamboo skewer, to make an extra long cotton bud. Or take the pump bit off and leave the bottle turned upside down in a small plastic dish?

    I'll try the bamboo skewer, not thought of that!

    I do turn it upside down, some moves to the top but not all. I can just about get my little finger in to scrape the bit that's moved, but because of the shape of the bottle, it has a 'ledge' by the neck which makes it worse, and then it gets scraped off my finger when I take it out of the jar, it really is maddening to see it all just sitting there out of reach :mad:.

    I can't get a spoon down either - and I've got nice long ones for scraping out other jars. Just had a thought though, I could try the spoon handle! That might just do it! I'll try that at end of this new bottle.

    M
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,240 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'm another one that goes to all sorts of lengths to use the last of the jar/tube/whatever.

    I have the Lakeland jar-busters, which are in regular use; I also use them when making cakes, to get the last of the mixture out of the mixing bowl.

    Like bluebag, I use a wooden rolling pin to squeeze tomato puree from its tube when it's getting empty; and upside-down bottles of shampoo and conditioner are a regular sight in the bathroom here.

    Marmite jars get (very carefully) swilled with a little hot water, and added to gravy.

    I'm pleased to say that I now have my husband trained to do the same things.:T
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Ooh! I'm in good company - we squeeze every last bit out of everything and 'recycle' the Sunday chicken into sandwiches, plate pie, soup and stock - the cats and dogs get the skin and gristle.
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

    2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year






  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    My OH doesn't throw stuff shampoo/shower gel out when the bottle is nearly empty - he just leaves it in the shower and opens a new one! When we were living at opposite ends of the country, I'd use up the old stuff each weekend while he was merrily ploughing his way through a new bottle. I could usually make an "empty" bottle last until the next one was "empty".
  • to make sure the tubes are empty I have been known to use a chunky pair of pliers and squeeeze every last bit to the top God I'm a tighta*$e, but it would annoy me to think I had binned something without doing my best to get all that I have paid for :):):)No wonder my kids call me 'Frau Frugal':)
  • inigma
    inigma Posts: 215 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Woah, i consider it an eclipse like miracle when my peanut butter and jam are running low at the same time and I can justify finishing them off with a spoon!

    Apparently as a nation we waste £12bn worth of food a year... that's about 2 weeks work for a UBS trader!
    06/06/2023 mortgage mort dateJUST BRING IT
  • irenee
    irenee Posts: 122 Forumite
    I grate (have a dedicated old grater!) the last bits of soap into a squeezy bottle; add some boiling water to the end of an olive oil bottle, well shaken ; add to the soap bottle
    Put the lid on and shake vigorously - makes a great liquid soap for hand cleaning in the kitchen
  • I save all those last annoying bits of soap and boil them up in an old saucepan as I have a special soap mould.
  • M.E.
    M.E. Posts: 680 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    I put the odd bits of soap into a mesh bag that used to come with detergent tablets.
    It hangs from the kitchen tap so we can wash hands at the kitchen sink.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.