Replacing the Administrator of a deceased's estate

Options
In a nutshell, my husband's father died about 6 years ago without leaving a will. My husbands half brother is the administrator but 6 years on and there is still a property for sale. My husband believes that his half brother has mismanaged the estate as he believes the house could have been sold by now or even been rented out and making some money for the beneficiaries.

Is it possible to have his half brother replaced as administrator? My husband would like to sort it out himself.

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's possible to have an administrator replaced. Contact your local Probate Registry office for assistance with the general mechanics, or the probate and inheritance tax helpline. I've found both to be helpful within the limits of what they are allowed to do. Your local office is best as the first place to contact.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    6 YEARS ago a sale would have been possible before the downturn. And if not, it could have been rented. If not it couldhave been auctionned 9if for instance it was in bad repair and none of you or the estate had the capital to make repairs. What other assets were there incl bank accts etc. Are these funds safe?

I would go down the rt suggested and speak to neighbours etc as perhaps he has been renting it and keeping the money. At the very least, he has not done his job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure