BEWARE - Laura Ashley 'Credit Voucher' con!

Options
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this post, however, I wanted MSE'rs to be aware of an issue I've just experienced with Laura Ashley, so that you too don't get stung!

I recently returned a pair of curtains to Laura Ashley, however, as I'd lost my receipt, I was told I'd need to take a store credit voucher, which I was happy to do.

I went to Laura Ashley today to use this voucher and was told it had expired and that I therefore 'lost' my money. It seems that the credit vouchers that they give you, only last for 28 days.

It does say this on the back of the card, however, I didn't notice when I was given it, as I put it straight into my purse. The sales assistant also didn't point it out.

I'm therefore left with no curtains and no credit voucher and Laura Ashley have kept my money.

I called their so called 'Customer Services' to complain - especially as the card was only 7 days past the expiry and also as I'd just spent over £2k in Laura Ashley in the last few weeks on new sofas, but to no avail.

Suffice to say, I shall NEVER shop there again.

Please don't be caught out like me. My advice to you is - if you do have to return something to Laura Ashley, keep it until you see something which you wish to exchange it for and don't accept a credit voucher. That way you'll not get caught out as I have with no goods and Laura Ashley keeping your money.

Hope this helps someone!

Comments

• Bettybooper_2
    Options
    I suppose to be fair without a receipt they are not legally obliged to refund.
  • Elvisia
    Elvisia Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's a shame they didn't say it had a limited life, when you get one in M&S they always point out that it's valid for a year.
  • Mrs_Dizzy
    Options
    28 days does sound a bit mean
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 27 January 2012 at 9:11AM
    Options
    As a PLC all the relevant corporate information for them is in the public domain. Here's a couple of links

http://www.lauraashley.com/page/corporateinformation
    http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/Tearsheets/Directors-and-dealings?s=ALY:LSE

It might be worth a letter to a couple of directors, maybe the chairman and the company secretary, to complain about this, especially if it was a large amount.

Don't just complain, start the letter by saying something like how you love the sofas you have off them, normally love their shops etc, then give info about why you returned the curtains, you weren't told about the expiry, when you tried to cash the credit note and where etc etc. Keep it nice and end with you await their comments or something like that. Don't make demans, rather ask questions.

Good luck.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • LilacLillie
    LilacLillie Posts: 2,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They have great Customer service, but not on the phone.
    I'd advise you to write in telling them exactly what you have posted above. I'll be very surprised if they don't issue another voucher.
    Did you buy on a CC? If so add that info. Also if you did pay over £100 for the curtains on CC, don't forget your CC company will chase them up, receipt or not.
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

• GOOD_BOY_3
    Options
    If you get through to the right person and word it right you will get your money back and something else as a good will gesture! They are all about customer service and nowadays they can not risk loosing a valued customer like yourself, ask for the manager, then their manager etc untill you get the responce you want, keep a note of everyone you speek to and what they say to you etc. you will get your money back im sure of it, it is an honest mistake and they wont want to loose your custom over that.
    Thanks every1 for making this website what it is, its helped me alot in the past!
  • shopping_queen_2
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies and suggestions. The main reason for my post was to alert other MSE'rs to this, in case they too get caught out.

After having read all your helpful replies, I think I will send a letter to their HO - it's worth a try!
  • I have a couple questions.... We're you within 28 days when returning your curtains and did u buy them in that particular shop? If yes the girl or man could have checked on their back system for a copy all shops have a hard copy somewhere,all they have to do is look the refund card is an awful credit note! I know that the likes of river island are indefinite... I really hope things get sorted for you, any other information please feel free to ask
  • Cakes_3
    Options
    I bought a coffee and lamp table from Laura Ashley but the lamp table had a scratch on it. The delivery guy told me that he would contact customer services and a new table would be delivered.

I was eventually offered a £30 gift card by customer services, but no apology and it took a week of emails to get to this stage, by which time I was very annoyed and just wanted the item replaced. I was then told that LA only offer compensation in the form of gift cards?? I am sure this is in breach of statutory rights and when I said this to the senior customer care she straight away said the item would be replaced........but two weeks later I am still waiting to hear back from her on when the new lamp table will be delivered??

Can anyone help on what I should next?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport