Scabs on cat's neck...

roguebrogue
roguebrogue Posts: 254 Forumite
edited 31 August 2011 at 9:37AM in Pets & pet care
Hi guys.

I'm really sorry if I shouldn't be posting this here or if it's agains the rules but I just wanted a bit of advice if people have experience this before.

My cat's got some crusty scabs on the back of her neck. They don't seem to bother her, she lets me prod and poke at them without squirming or crying. She's still eating and drinking fine and seems her normal self.

There's no sign of fleas either. I changed her collar (just a standard collar, not a flea one) a few months ago but that's about it.

I'm asking on here because I really can't afford the vets this month (please don't lecture me on this, I have pet insurance but the excess is £50 so it's likely that if I went to the vets I'd be paying it all myself.

Next month I will be able to take her if it hasn't died down, it's just this month I've had some unexpected financial issues.

Again, sorry if I shouldn't be posting this. Just a bit worried.

ETA: Forgot to say, she is an indoor cat so there is no possibility of it being down to fighting.

Comments

• spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    It's from her scratching.My Daisy has the same on her neck (she's a house cat too) & when I asked the vet I was told it's because the claws don't wear down as much/fast on an indoor cat so they sometimes catch the skin,just like they do when they take a swipe at your arm.
    Nothing to worry about too much.
  • Thank you Spike, you've put my mind at reast :)
  • DebiT
    DebiT Posts: 173 Forumite
    Are the scabs near the collar, could the collar be rubbing her and perhaps causing her to itch?
  • They're on the back of her neck, but mostly on one side of it. I did think it might be the collar but it's pretty loose (I can easily fit my fingers under it - there's loads of room).
  • betti911
    betti911 Posts: 819
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    My two indoor cats have similar scabs. I always assumed it was from them both fighting with and biting each other. Vet also said it was nothing to worry about. I didn't think about them scratching themselves. Just as well I took them both for a manicure and a pedicure recently :D
    Jan 1st 07 Car loan £4830.46@12% Personal Loan £11,517@8% variable Overdraft £1500 July 2009Halifax-£0Debt free date 14th July 2009 :j
  • Buttonmoons
    Buttonmoons Posts: 13,323 Forumite
    I wouldn't worry about it, my indoor car (only the female) gets this too, and a scabby chin aswell, and it's because she has vicious claws and scratches herself too much, they don't bother her at all, but I must admit I'm gross and whenever I'm scratching her chin I have to resist the urge to pick her scab. Eww
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    I wouldn't worry about it, my indoor car (only the female) gets this too, and a scabby chin aswell, and it's because she has vicious claws and scratches herself too much, they don't bother her at all, but I must admit I'm gross and whenever I'm scratching her chin I have to resist the urge to pick her scab. Eww

Does she eat from plastic bowls Buttonmoons?...Some cats can get a sort of acne from plastic ones.
  • Buttonmoons
    Buttonmoons Posts: 13,323 Forumite
    No she only eats wet food and she has a metal bowl, the other cat eats from a plastic one for his biscuits and he is scab free, but then they are always fighting and get carried away sometimes and kick each other with back legs, and I do see her scratching her chin so its probably her own doing.

One time he bit her foot inbetween her toe though and she kept licking it, had to take her to the vets for that one, and the vet said he had never seen a cat so happy to be at the vets as she was having a rare old time running around sniffing and demanding attention :rotfl:
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Take the collar off and leave it off, I can understand a collar being on an outdoor cat, with a bell on it or some ID but an indoor cat really doesnt need on.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Thank you so much everyone. Glad to know Alice is just a bit scabby.....hehehe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure