MSE News: Dump Sky and iPhones, struggling homeowners told

Comments

• Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So punish the poor? the citizens by invading their privacy and right of self determination by intrusive phone calls.
    I live on Benefits. what I decide to spend my money on is my business and my business alone.
    I use a Batch System because I can't afford to buy Clothes, Books academic shock horror expensive (waits for onslaught!) Travel etc. I keep my quality of goods high but aim to keep overall spending low.
    I have no mortgage.
    I object to exploiting Landlords getting tenants to pay the mortgage for them instead of tenants embarking on process of home ownership in suitable starter homes.
    Shoppers are exploited at the Retailers by 25% price rises in overall food inflation.
    The Retailers don't give a flying !!!! about the wellbeing of consumers/targets of constant intrusive marketing messages utilising psychologically invasive techniques.
    Plus Daily Heil #ukuncut#falseeconomy #feralelite#bullingdonclubeconomics are forcing Free Market doctrines on us and transfering public sector to private.
    Bankers Bailouts and bonuses nuff said.
    The poor are summarily punished and disciplined by neo-liberal economic doctrine by right wing Tories, how wonderful to see the common man assault the poor because his or her consent has been thoroughly manufactured especially at Election time.
    We have a one party state effective as Labour is not old labour of working man but Blair, Milliband, brown et al.
    Big Business is of course delighted.
    We must have flexible labour markets then we return to good working practices of spouses waiting at docks for work which may or may not come, wonderful economic insecurity! (just penalise benefits claimants and forget tax evasion which can more than plug the gap).
    So my attitude is I am gonna live my !!!!ing life as I see fit: High qaulity. There is so much !!!!ing !!!! in terms of product qaulity leved at poor and I aint' buying it,(slag me off here here here here ) Qaulity is a cheaper decision.
    I used to have SKY but I find it cheapskate and mean with programme content, a total waste of money, Only Free Sky unless I need a French film Channel. French is good for brain.
    I need to be enrolled on various Challenges here as good idea but I wait for the misunderstandings and judgments ato arise. It is not my fault I was made redundant. The mathematics of job seeking mean 100 applicants to 1 post.
    At my age 50+ employers view me as over the hill.
    I wish people would use their brains more and don't take to hand all the media dole out by them and read !!!!ing books to find out what the hell is going on.
    My mum buys low spends high quality, she is a woman of qaulity and it pays her back in various means.
    I believe in qaulity and praise the lord own a beautiful Iphone 3GS this means I can download maps of the Highlands and use the GPS on it to help me find my friend, a talk and texter you so espouse won't do that.
    My iphone makes up for the slaughter of adult education going beyond cookery classes to real academia.
    My apps can mark my maths work better than an disinterested teacher only allocating me 10 minutes.
    No Maths teacher to touch me up in my attempt to overcome maths problems and become whole.
    I proudly own a laptop repaired by brother and a pc, proudly have my books.
    Reading is cheaper than going to the pub but I have had pub periods.
    GPS on Iphone can help me calculate mileage etc on walking routes. I can monitor my habits so I make good virtuos ones, diet etc.
    no !!!!ing bank is gonna tell me what to spend or not on basis of my statements. I would act prudently to keep my mortgage intact and have a lifestyle that is high qaulity but cheap.
    I resent the corporate data mining that is at our expense.
    I hope i make my point clear. There is no excuse at such patronising action. Quicken withdrew its Consumer Software to grovel at Businesses, We need all the Software help we can get to help us run our budgets.
    Big Business gives us a little as humanly possible at the greatest possible cost.
    I rest my case (judgements stand here and I will stand here proud, erect, good looking, looking great, with iphone etc in hand seeking many ways to make a budget).
    Lois Mc Qaunt Punishing the poor Neo liberal regimes creating economic insecurity. On wish list
    Chomsky the manfacturing of consent.
    Chomsky Profit before People
    Frances Fox Piven Regulation of the Poor Got book but will read.
    Shock Doctrine No Logo Naomi Klein.

Is this a good day or bad day for you?

To be honest if my bank phoned and asked how my finances are I would just answer the questions and they would see I am more than fine and leave me alone.

On the flip side they may offer good advice to many before they get in trouble.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    I live on Benefits. what I decide to spend my money on is my business and my business alone.

Disagree.

Those benefits are taken from other tax payers. They do not choose to give you the money, they have it taken from them and given to you on the basis you need that money to survive.

So they have a legitimate interest in how you live your life. If you don't like this, then don't take their money.
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ahh Sky... paying obscene amounts of money for repeats and perhaps 1/2 programs that you havent seen before..
    pleased i got shot and just use the free channels..
    yeah im debt (manging slowly to pay it off) and have internet and 40" lcd tele (which i saved for over a couple of years)
    a cheap £7.99 nokia phone from argos which is good enough for what i use it for..
    Bin Sky (its simply not worth the £50+ a month it costs)
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    I enjoy Sky.

But if I don't find work before Christmas it won't survive in to the new year.
  • auto-man
    auto-man Posts: 346 Forumite
    see what i am saying is that I used to earn a lot so spent within my means at that time. I then got made redundant and lost the high income, I did not go on benefits but instead took lower paid job as I am proud like that.

How then is that my fault? It was purely accidental that things happened the way they did it wasnt my fault. that said the banks got bailed out, nobody would bail me out nor let me have time to repay things so I simply stop. I am in my 50's and own my house outright so no risk of losing it but thanks for the lecture.

I am only saying that sky (as with all entertainment) is permitted within CFS so if they allow it, the courts allow it with CCJ's and stuff so sorry, MSE needs to accept it. What is so difficult for you to grasp that debts do come second to having a life! No life = non repayment anyways.

Some of you guys are unreal. preach all you want but I really hope you lose your life like a lot of us caught up in the madness that was 2007, then see how cocky you are. Annoying to say the least.
  • nokia1100
    nokia1100 Posts: 86
    Forumite
    How many people under 30 are as cheap as me when it comes to mobiles? My username gives a clue as to what I've got. New in early 2005 for £10 after trading in an Alcatel with a snapped aerial, people can call me, I can call them. Same with texts.
    Maybe I'm wierd with gadgets. I'm not an early adopter, buy at discount, bottom-feed when it comes to PCs. I definitely feel left out when colleagues at uni are discussing mobile upgrades at lunchtime, but nothing beats the smug feeling that they don't know what I'm worth and aren't going to step onto the property ladder when we leave.
    --Savings: £281k and counting...26/09/14 the day I reached six figures, doubled on 24/07/20
  • auto-man
    auto-man Posts: 346 Forumite
    Percy1983 wrote: »
    When you where earning enough for sky and an iphone fair enough, your money waste it however you like, but when you can no longer afford them but still have them who do you expect to pay for them?
    I am paying for them. Me.

Who else would pay?
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    nokia1100 wrote: »
    How many people under 30 are as cheap as me when it comes to mobiles? My username gives a clue as to what I've got. New in early 2005 for £10 after trading in an Alcatel with a snapped aerial, people can call me, I can call them. Same with texts.
    Maybe I'm wierd with gadgets. I'm not an early adopter, buy at discount, bottom-feed when it comes to PCs. I definitely feel left out when colleagues at uni are discussing mobile upgrades at lunchtime, but nothing beats the smug feeling that they don't know what I'm worth and aren't going to step onto the property ladder when we leave.

Me lol.. im 27 with a £7.99 Nokia from argos lol.. wouldnt of had this if i didnt manage to drop my £5 samsung from asda in the bath :rotfl:
    same with PC's/Tech i dont really care about it tbh.. although i dont have any cash for a house deposit or anything atm :o
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244
    Forumite
    auto-man wrote: »
    see what i am saying is that I used to earn a lot so spent within my means at that time. I then got made redundant and lost the high income, I did not go on benefits but instead took lower paid job as I am proud like that.

How then is that my fault? It was purely accidental that things happened the way they did it wasnt my fault. that said the banks got bailed out, nobody would bail me out nor let me have time to repay things so I simply stop. I am in my 50's and own my house outright so no risk of losing it but thanks for the lecture.

I am only saying that sky (as with all entertainment) is permitted within CFS so if they allow it, the courts allow it with CCJ's and stuff so sorry, MSE needs to accept it. What is so difficult for you to grasp that debts do come second to having a life! No life = non repayment anyways.

Some of you guys are unreal. preach all you want but I really hope you lose your life like a lot of us caught up in the madness that was 2007, then see how cocky you are. Annoying to say the least.

Are you serious, sounds like a whining child, I can't comment on the reasons for your redundancy and have every sympathy. But to say you are carrying on with your old spending habbits because life isn't fair sounds a bit wrong.

To put my point simply:

I can't afford and iPhone or Sky so I don't have them, if you can't afford them why should you have them?
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    So punish the poor? ... When did giving advice on what is really essential in life become punishing the poor? My reading of Chomsky, Klein et al leads me to think that those retailers, that you and I agree don't give one jot about us, the customer (far better quality word than consumer with all the connotations that come with it), and neo liberal economics/politics/society have spent years and millions of pounds convincing, coercing and peer pressuring people into thinking that an iphone or similar is an essential in life (which is why I don't have one). The authors you quote have taught me to think about what I need not what I want and to make an informed, educated and thought through decision when buying things.

I have no mortgage. So the likelihood of NR calling you is nil then.

Shoppers are exploited at the Retailers by 25% price rises in overall food inflation. I agree.

The Retailers don't give a flying !!!! about the wellbeing of consumers/targets of constant intrusive marketing messages utilising psychologically invasive techniques. So true. Which is why so many people who don't need and often can't afford luxuries such as ipads, iphones and sky "have to have them"!

... High qaulity. ... Qaulity is a cheaper decision. Very often the right thought but you still have to get that quality at the best possible price for you provided you need it and can afford it.

It is not my fault I was made redundant. The mathematics of job seeking mean 100 applicants to 1 post. At my age 50+ employers view me as over the hill. The situation is appalling and no one should should suggest that redundancy is your fault. I don't think anything on here has suggested that?

I believe in qaulity and praise the lord own a beautiful Iphone 3GS ... It's a phone FGS! Beautiful!!!!!

My iphone makes up for the slaughter of adult education going beyond cookery classes to real academia. No it doesn't. You are taking valid, thoroughly researched and painstakingly expounded theories (Chomsky et al) to attack those who have not attacked you and to justify your ownership of a phone. What was it you said about "constant intrusive marketing messages utilising psychologically invasive techniques"? To justify high costs and coerce people into buying products? Anyone fancy an apple?!?!?

My apps can mark my maths work better than an disinterested teacher only allocating me 10 minutes. Now I may have to start using the asterisk and exclamation mark button for my response to this. No I won't bother.

No Maths teacher to touch me up in my attempt to overcome maths problems and become whole. I am truly sorry if this was your experience, no-one should have to experience such abuse.

I can monitor my habits so I make good virtuos ones, diet etc.
    Please tell me you haven't also fallen for the diet propaganda.

I would act prudently to keep my mortgage intact and have a lifestyle that is high qaulity but cheap. You would but you don't have a mortgage so this thread is irrelevant to you except to give you a vent for your at times misguided reading of Chomsky et al.

Big Business gives us a little as humanly possible at the greatest possible cost. Now that's an accurate reading! The thing is the majority of the forumites on here understand this already. There are a vast majority of the population who don't though mainly as a result of neo liberal politics and economics and the success it has enjoyed for such a very long time. QUOTE]

I'm sure this response is not going to be welcomed but I could not see authors and theorists for whom I have the greatest respect and admiration used to justify your ownership of a bl**dy iphone!

I hope you get your anger dealt with soon and settle into an informed and considered exploration and application of fantastic theory and find rewarding employment that you enjoy.

All the best,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills