PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Too much glaze!

Options
I have lots of honey glaze left over from a small ham this morning. Is there anything I can do with it, or do I need to buy another ham to glaze?!

I often lurk but rarely post, and I know there must be someone on here with some excellent ideas!

Thanks

Rachel
1st baby due 28/01/09...oopsidasy!!;)

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi rachstebbs,

It will depend on what is in the glaze, but as it's honey based it should go well as a glaze for carrots and parsnips. You could probably keep it in the fridge for a week or two at least...it may go a bit cloudy when cold, but will become clear again once it's warmed up.

Pink
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    how bout using it to glaze some sausages and bke - mmmmm sticky suasages
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • rachstebbs
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions, I have just pulled 55 sticky cocktail sausages out of the oven and they are divine! x
    1st baby due 28/01/09...oopsidasy!!;)
  • Mands
    Mands Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could probably keep it in the fridge for a week or two at least...it may go a bit cloudy when cold, but will become clear again once it's warmed up.

Pink

I make three or six months of glaze at a time; 50% honey, 50% whole grain mustard, mixed and kept in the fridge. Honey doesn't go off, mustard doesn't go off therefore there's nothing in the glaze to go off.

Not dead yet :)
    Mands
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mands wrote: »
    I make three or six months of glaze at a time; 50% honey, 50% whole grain mustard, mixed and kept in the fridge. Honey doesn't go off, mustard doesn't go off therefore there's nothing in the glaze to go off.

Not dead yet :)
    Mands

Hi Mands,

I do know that honey doesn't go off, but was erring on the side of caution as Rachel hasn't mentioned what other ingredients were in her particular glaze. :)

Pink
  • Mands
    Mands Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Mands,

I do know that honey doesn't go off, but was erring on the side of caution as Rachel hasn't mentioned what other ingredients were in her particular glaze. :)

Pink

Hi Pink,

You are absolutely right: I saw 'honey glaze' and immediately thought of mine. Depending on Rachel's ingredients it may or may not be a good idea.

We tend to cook a ham every other week, with roast chickens on alternate weeks, to give the makings for salads and sandwiches and the like. Batch-making the ham glaze has made thing much simpler; nothing worse than realising that the ham is ready for glazing and that the honey is sitting in the fridge and therefore rock solid.

Anyway, a timely reminder for me so many thanks,
    Mands
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    mmmm honey glazed bbq chicken wings or drumsticks. honey glazed butternut squash? or.........how about honey glazed belly pork? (but dont glaze them until about half hour before they are fully cooked or the glaze will burn).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure