We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

cauli's and broccoli

Options
ds1980
ds1980 Posts: 1,213 Forumite
Only just got round to posting but my caulis and broccolis were going great guns and start to sprout a couple of months ago but befor ei knew it theyd all bolted and never ever seemed to resemble the closely knitted cauli and broccoli we know. Any advice?

Comments

• gazza975526570
    Options
    There isnt a long period from when they are ready to bolting - you need to pick them early

They also need firm soil
  • ds1980
    Options
    thank you for reply. They never got to a stage that would have been worth me picking before they bolted.
  • gazza975526570
    Options
    Keeping them watered can also reduce chance of them bolting but caulis especially can be tough to get to harvest
  • weiser
    weiser Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    i had the same trouble with my caulis bolting they were the variety all year round i might not bother with them next year
  • ds1980
    Options
    im same not going to bother, my old man had an allotment for 20 years and could never get caulis to grow. going to try the sprouting variety so at leats you dont need it to go into a compacted way like were used to. In a plot with runners and potatos all doing well so they had shed loads of water 3 times a day? Thanks for help think ill do carrots swedes, parsnips and turnips in the plot next year

ta
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport