reusable wipes, nappies and csp

Options
hi,

just thought i'd share an insight after 8 months of being a money saving mama. my best money saving tip is to use reusable wipes (instead of disposable wipes). these can save £1.50 per week and are much better than disposables. i bought all mine 'preloved' - about 50 for £30. reusable nappies also save money but in my opinion, the savings are much more when you factor reusable wipes into the equation.

also, if you're a really hard core money saver you can use csp (cloth sanitary protection). you can't generally buy these second hand so have to buy them new unfortunately, but even still, these are a huge money saver. i bought different kinds from weenotions (fairy hammocks). for a large batch it cost me £100 but they are supposed to last for about 7 years so it will be a large saving.

and all these can be resold when the last baby is out of nappies! :D

what's everyone else's opinion on the opportunities to save money by using reusable cloth?

xxx :beer:

Comments

• shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Totally agree especially with regard to cloth and reuseable wipes. I personally prefer a mooncup to cloth san pro though as it doesn't require washing and won't wear out but I guess if the san pro is made from old towels as oppossed to new cloth and they are always washed with other washing then the environmental impact may be less.
  • Yep, reusable wipes are the way to go. Plus, if you're already using reusable nappies it saves having to mess about seperating stuff for the bin and stuff for the wash. We use plain water with ours and have never had nappy rash.

We were bought loads of wet wipes when T was born and I've just started using them to wipe the floors etc but the smell is so overpowering now. Why would I want to use that on a baby's skin?

You could also consider using reusable wipes instead of toilet paper for the rest of the family but my husband isn't having any of that so can't comment on it!

You can make your own reusable wipes. Mine are terry cloth on one side and a fleece on the other so all you need to do is cut up an old towel/nappies and fleece and sew together.
    Trying hard to remember... "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery." David Coperfield
    [STRIKE]C/C £800[/STRIKE] paid off February! :T
    And onto the next...
  • scorpiod
    scorpiod Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    I use CSP, infact I make my own which saves even more money! Old towels for inners and any old t-shirts etc for the outers. They are great and I will never go back to disposable!
    Very £1,379.90
    Isme £563.75
    Littlewoods £194.75
    Simplybe £1,326.32
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business