When will UK interest rates start to rise?

Options
Poll started 08 August 2011
please vote here before discussing

When will UK interest rates start to rise?

UK interest rates have now been at the historic low of 0.5% for 29 consecutive months.

How long do you think before they start to rise?

Next three months
Three to six months
Six to twelve months
A year to 18 months
18 months to 2 years
2 to 3 years
3 to 5 years
More than 5 years
They'll be cut again before they rise

Please vote here, or click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• gazpacho_uk
    gazpacho_uk Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    Well I hope its going to be 12 months ..... I am on a tracker and have just 11 months to go left on the mortgage
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    teddyco wrote: »
    Wasn't the last poll asking 'How honest people are?' - Did this poll replace it just in time for the London riots?

We change the poll weekly on a mon night / tue morn
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • ChuckCash
    ChuckCash Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    The BOE has more than it's fair share of doves, so I don't see rates rising for a while, although it would be great to see it happen, if only for a stonger sterling.

I believe the talk about the prime motive being to inflate away gov debt, but the down side is that high inflation may also effect the deficit adversely.

As for the other justification of low rates - that thousands of mortgage holders are on the tipping point... if this is the case how come the power providers are able to raise costs at will with no intervention from the toothless watchdogs?
  • erdd2
    erdd2 Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    ChuckCash wrote: »
    The BOE has more than it's fair share of doves, so I don't see rates rising for a while, although it would be great to see it happen, if only for a stonger sterling.

I believe the talk about the prime motive being to inflate away gov debt, but the down side is that high inflation may also effect the deficit adversely.

As for the other justification of low rates - that thousands of mortgage holders are on the tipping point... if this is the case how come the power providers are able to raise costs at will with no intervention from the toothless watchdogs?

From my personal position...!!!! the stronger sterling rate ;)

Regards "inflate away gov debt"....float on....as for those on "tipping point"...to both sides...allowers and acceptors.....float on..... albeit acceptors are the underdogs...as for the toothless watchdogs...toothless is the operative word.....what a mess...and a bloody expensive mess for the average law abiding taxpater!
  • Eric_Pisch
    Eric_Pisch Posts: 8,720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    with the world spiralling into a double dip recession, parts of the EU on the verge of bankruptcy and very little that can be done to stimulate growth

its going to be a long time before rates change
  • Fury_2
    Options
    I see it being 18 months to 2 years before the rates start creeping up very slowly over another few years.

Now they're so low, theres easy way of increasing them with the weak economy being so dependant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure