🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Control freaks - control free area. My diary to change things around

Options
Archer0710
Archer0710 Posts: 239 Forumite
edited 7 August 2011 at 6:45PM in Debt free diaries
After lurking for a while and reading everything I can I have decided what I need to do is my own diary.
I have implemented a lot of changes but confess I am a bit of an ostrich when it comes to my finances. I really struggle to open bank statements etc, whether I am in credit or debit.

My debt story started when I was 18 really. I did the usual store cards thing and took a small loan for a car. I got a new better job and said car became unreliable....so I traded it in against a newer car.....got made redundant and struggled to pay both. Moved in with boyfriend instead of staying at home with parents and struggled to afford things but am too stubborn to ask for help.
I guess luckily due to bad credit it never became worse and I eventually managed to pay things off but for some reason my credit never really improved until I split up with said ex and realised that he had managed to run up joint CCJ’s (which I knew nothing of) he was in debt all over the place and had even had some kind of levy raised against my parents vehicle which he never mentioned. Our split was far from amicable but I have grown as a person since!
It’s now a few years on and I am happily married, I have a reasonably well paid job and things are much better than they have been but my negative credit remains!
This year the final CCJ drops off and my aim now is to get my credit back up to worthiness so I can (maybe) in the future be able to finance my own things instead of DH doing it and be in a position to get a mortage maybe in the future.
I will post my SOA in a bit......we can meet all our payments and tbh if we can just cut our lifestyle back a bit then maybe we can get stuff cleared. DH has debt and great credit, I owe a maybe £1000 tops and have rubbish credit. We are a unit and I intend to sort the debt as household debt. The figure for that is a bit more scary.
So in my favour:
I am very organised
Work pays for my car, the majority of my fuel and running costs.
Against:
I hate facing up to things.
I dread opening my bank statements and avoid Lloyds cash points as they show you the balance on the account.

My done list:
Worked out incomings and expenditure and know exactly what we owe and where.
Budgeted for car account, present account etc

My to do list:
Set up standing orders for above accounts
Reduce our food bills which are huge!
Try and aim for a few NSD’s this month
Find cheapest way to get my credit file (without signing up for anything.)
Can I ever learn this budgeting lark? So far it's not looking promising
Lloyds loan - gone forever! :T
Bank of Mum and Dad gone forever!
Emergency Fund £1500 :T

Comments

• Archer0710
    Archer0710 Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    I like lists so I will write mine down here for the week:

Go to bank to set up standing orders.

Try to sort out a meal plan (shopping diary) for next week.

Buy christmas present for my sister. I find christmas shopping so stressful that the earlier I start the less chance I have of my head spinning the whole of December. I have £65 in my present account so can afford to go back and get her a grooming box as she has recently moved her horse and realised half her stuff has gone missing.

Oh and get credit report.
    Can I ever learn this budgeting lark? So far it's not looking promising
    Lloyds loan - gone forever! :T
    Bank of Mum and Dad gone forever!
    Emergency Fund £1500 :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income