I-pod docking station recommendations?

Options
Not sure if Im posting in the right forum but wondered if anyone had any recommendations for an ipod docking station (that also charges) up to about £100. Its my dads 60th birthday and although he has an ipod he doesnt have a docking station and I dont know where to start! Any recommendations would be welcome. Would rather not get anything thats too bulky. Was looking at JBL but some reviews suggest that the sound isnt very good. Many thanks.

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A bit budget dependent but I've an ASDA's house brand portable (cheap, cheerful, portable, more or less toddlerproof) whereas Dad went to Richer Sounds for his gizmo.
    Have a look at http://www.richersounds.com/productlistmanu/PORTABLEMP3/ALL ?
    I have a bad feeling we may have paid about the same money but ended up with significantly different quality goods. If you can get to a store, the staff are both very knowledgeable & helpful. They were great with me in my young free & single days! :o
  • Not_a_Newbie
    Options
    I have recently bought this one.

I have to say I am very impressed with the sound quality.

If you are still unsure, just take your Ipod and nip into comet/currys, they usually let you try it out on the different docks they have.

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Speakers/buy-JBL-RADIAL-Speaker/381322
    £400+ in my £2 coin tablet fund
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,245 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are two kinds of iPod docks:

(i) Those that just do the audio out. These can be quite cheap, do very little, and shouldn't be particularly variable in sound quality.
    (ii) Those that extract the digital signal so that you can send it to a DAC. These cost more and need a hi-fi; DACs can cost from £50 to thousands of pounds.
  • Larry22
    Larry22 Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought this one
    GEAR4 Explorer-SP Rechargeable iPod & iPhone Portable Speaker Dock - Black
    It's mainly for holidays or where mains is not available, 2x10 watts with 3d sound, audio input for various devices and a remote control, a fully charged battery will last for about 4-5 hrs, decent sound quality & Dixons had them at £52 (ish) but most places charge £80+
  • Mesopotania
    Options
    Did a lot of research before I bought one for my ipod. I went for this. Think it's great as do the 102 reviewers on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Klipsch-iGroove-Speaker-Charges-iPhones/dp/B0030BLFQE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313526916&sr=1-2
  • MaryMusker
    Options
    Agree about Klipsch, we liked the first one we got so much we bought two more for different rooms in the house!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure