PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest bicarbonate of soda?

Options

Comments

• tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    i was in the chinese cash n carry just up the road from me (w h lung's in manchester) buying white vinegar, £1.90 for 5ltrs, and they had big paper bags (like flour) or bicarb for not very much.
  • ilikepoints
    Options
    48p at Asda so much cheaper than Tescos 89p price even if tesco do 3 for 2.
  • DM7
    DM7 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I too am looking for bicarb for cleaning purposes. I checked out the links above and thought I'd post my results for anyone else looking. Price includes postage to mainland Britain for 5kg:

Just a Soap £13.18
    Soap Kitchen £15.46
    Soap Basics £15.90
    Bathbomb.biz £13.20

Cheapest though found on Ebay: £11.99 from bathbombbiz
  • elliebear15
    Options
    Hi all
    I am resurrecting this very old thread as the same question keeps popping up every now and again, and I am the one asking this time :-)
    I am trying to source bulk buy food-grade bicarb of soda. Asda are selling it for 75p for 200grams (ie: £3.75/kilo), that's the cheapest supermarket price I can find.
    But I have seen on Amazon it is selling at £9 for 5kg + £2.99 delivery. So that's £2.40/kilo incl. postage.
    There was a better price for 25kg bulk but I didn't think I could store it without damp issues.
    Is this a good price, or are there any money savers out there who can go better?
    I am only interested in food grade, as I am using it as shampoo as well as general cleaning.
    Thanks!!
    Ellie x
  • booter
    booter Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I posted last year about the price of Bicarb - I was surprised it had gone up so much since the last time I'd bought it! At that time, B&M had 200g tubs for 69p (so £3.45/kilo). However I think they had some in my local today for 45p, along with other baking products (toppings for cupcakes in small tubs). I may be wrong on the price though, but your post has prompted me to go back and check when I call in next week :) (Unless anyone else pops in in the meantime ;) )

Out of interest, does anyone know why the one Wilko sells (here) can't be used for food? If it's because the product's made in a "non sterile" atmosphere or whatever, well, isn't it all non sterile as soon as it's opened? Isn't it all the same chemical compound? Or am I being naïve? :o
  • BarbaraEW
    Options
    You can buy it at Amazon 5kg for £8
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Find a Chinese Supermarket, about £4 for 3 Kilos !
  • Purplewelshy
    Options
    larmy16 wrote: »
    Thanks Calley, unfortunately my Wilkinsons dont do Borax, I have already tried. I would have to travel some way to get there, so I'll just make do with the bs from Morrisons!

This is a problem with Wilkinsons, however there is a solution. Order off their web site and choose free delivery to your nearest store. The store will ring you a couple of days later for you to pick it up. I do this all the time with Wilkinsons. O.B.T.W. Poundland sell 450g for, you guessed it, £1.
  • djinnni_2
    Options
    Google: 25 kg bicarbonate of soda
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills