self employed - mileage allowance..

Options
Can anyone tell me, when claiming mileage allowance, can i claim mileage for travelling to and from work or is it just for the actual work i'm doing? (delivering newspapers)
I am travelling 30 miles a day to get there and home again altogether, so can i claim that, or am i only allowed to claim for just the mileage i do while i'm delivering them?
Many thanks..

Comments

• alun4
    alun4 Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    travelling to and from is not allowed. If you genuinely work from home then mileage is allowable.
  • aallank
    aallank Posts: 2,254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    alun4 wrote: »
    travelling to and from is not allowed. If you genuinely work from home then mileage is allowable.

ok, he is required to drive 7 miles from home to pick up the papers, then 10 miles to get to the place to deliver them and then 12 miles home again, so what can he claim for please?
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You cannot claim mileage between home and your permanent place of work with the permanent place of work being your official office or a place of work you are going to be traveling to for 2 years or more.

There is some additional complication when not traveling to your office and every company I have dealt with have applied the law slightly in that some simply ignored it (so you could claim 22 miles assuming your not going back to the place you collect the papers). Some deducted your whole work to home mileage (so you could claim 15) and others looked at maps and looked for commonality and made a deduction based on that.

If this is all just a temp thing and it is not believed it will last more than 2 years then your home is your office and you claim 29 miles
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    You cannot claim mileage between home and your permanent place of work with the permanent place of work being your official office or a place of work you are going to be traveling to for 2 years or more.

There is some additional complication when not traveling to your office and every company I have dealt with have applied the law slightly in that some simply ignored it (so you could claim 22 miles assuming your not going back to the place you collect the papers). Some deducted your whole work to home mileage (so you could claim 15) and others looked at maps and looked for commonality and made a deduction based on that.

If this is all just a temp thing and it is not believed it will last more than 2 years then your home is your office and you claim 29 miles

Congratulations on basically quoting the regs word for word FOR EMPLOYED PEOPLE ON PAYE. He is self employed so the rules are different.

OK, as self employed, it all depends on where your business is based. you can claim for the lot if your business is based at your home. His is based from home. Some people will now argue the toss about it being the place he picks the papers up but thats as stupid as arguing that someone who has a burger van has his business based at the wholesalers he gets the burgers and breadbuns from.

As it stands, the OP starts work at home and travels to their supplier, picks up supplies and delivers them and returns back. At the very least to be 100% sure of no issues, all mileage from where the papers are collected until you get back home are claimable as you do not return back to where you got the papers from. IMO, the first 7 are as well as your home is actually the base of your business and had the papers been delivered there, you'd be starting from your home. Your situation is no different to care workers who provide care in peoples homes who can claim from their home to their first client but can't if they go to an office but then onto their client.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure