1st Credit - New Letters

Pink_Floyd_2
Pink_Floyd_2 Posts: 36 Forumite
edited 30 July 2011 at 2:40PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi All,

I have several pieces of debt from quite a few years ago. Most of which will shortly (4-8 months) become statute barred. Up until now, and certainly for the last 18 months I have had no contact at all from any creditor, or debt collection agency.

However recently I took on a new mobile phone and it would seem 1st Credit have got wind of this through a credit reference agency. So far I've had three letters, one to say they've bought the debt from Lloyds (they actually did so back in 2005) another to request payment, and another stating they think my financial position might have changed, they want payment and may be able to offer an attractive discount.

So, moral issues aside. What are my options here? I know I can in theory be taken to court, but is this likely to happen before the debt becomes barred? I should add if I was to go to court they wouldn't be in line for any major amount of money, either as a lump or monthly payment anyway.

Assuming they play hard ball and go down the court route, is there a way of being 100% sure they are doing so before offering a token payment to prevent this? As I obviously do not want to start the 5 year barred time line starting again.

May thanks in advance.

*Edit* This account had the last payment / contact in Jan '07 so should be barred in Feb '12.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport