Babysitting Help!

edited 30 July 2011 at 4:46PM in Boost Your Income
7 replies 838 views
XxXfashionqueenXxXXxXfashionqueenXxX Forumite
256 Posts
edited 30 July 2011 at 4:46PM in Boost Your Income
My daughter is 14 in a month and is keen in babysitting as a 'Summer job'. What is the most effective way to get the word out?
New year, new comper here!
Wins for January- 2 free chapsticks, Celebrations.

Replies

• claire16cclaire16c Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Ive been babysitting for years and all the people I babysit for are either neighbours, my dads work colleagues and now my husbands work colleagues, and occasionally that has lead to one of their friends then contacting me.

I have sometimes had teenagers put leaflets through, but I personally would never ever do this and go to someones house that I did not know of through a friend/family member/neighbour.

I once saw an advert for a babysitter in the local post office window, I rang them and we chatted (and they weirdly turned out to live in my parents road) but never ended up working for them in the end. But I would never promote myself in that way, I would only respond to a parent, and if I were to ever go anywhere new for the first time where I didnt know someone well I would bring my husband with me.

So I think its best she sticks to people she knows, like perhaps colleagues of yours?
  • merlin68merlin68 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    I think you'll find that she has to be 16.
  • merlin68 wrote: »
    I think you'll find that she has to be 16.

Not really, I've searched and turns out you can be any age.
    New year, new comper here!
    Wins for January- 2 free chapsticks, Celebrations.
  • aljaalja Forumite
    832 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    my friends used to babysit around the age of 14, maybe make up some little business cards and hand them to people you know who have children so they are aware that they can use her :)
    Save £6k in 2019 - £7285/£6k #83
  • ikati5ikati5 Forumite
    330 Posts
    Netmums noticeboard is a really good advertising medium.. You can also ask the same question on there and the mums will tell you where they get their babysitters from
  • Unless she is babysitting for someone you know very well, I would advise against it. 14 is too young to have such responsibility.

If she does go ahead, make sure you know the parents and preferably at a house close to you, so if anything happens you can come and help, also consider teaching her some basic first aid such as burns, broken bones and chocking.
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
  • NaideNaide Forumite
    85 Posts
    I remember having a few babysitting jobs at 13 and upwards. I got one job and the word got out and I was soon in demand. I remember my dad telling his workmates that I was looking and he got me a regular job that way too.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals