Student Loan Company sharp practice

Options
I took out the old style Student Loan back in the mid 90's. I have never earned over the Threshold so currently Defer Payment. However I have been late returning the Deferment Form a couple of times resulting in having to pay hundreds over. Is this Legal if I can prove I have never earnt over the limit? I been treated like some kind of criminal - calls on Sundays, evenings etc. Is it worth me seeking Legal Advice? Has anyone else experienced this? Many Thanks

Comments

• Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Options
    No it isn't worth your seeking legal advice. They are well within their rights to take payments for the loan if you haven't sent the defferment information in time.

It is stated in the original terms and conditions that they will do this. Maybe next year you could send your defferment letter back on time to prevent this from happening again?
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• Neilhmtn
    Neilhmtn Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    No, it isn't sharp practice, nor should you go for legal advice.

Just to note though, I have a student loan from the same period, and I seem to remember being late with my deferment form one year, but I was able to reclaim a payment that had been taken - and they did so pretty quickly after I requested it.

It was clearly marked in the T&Cs somewhere, but I can't be bothered to look myself just now.
  • Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Options
    The Board Guides are SO polite when they tell you off after a poster complains about a reply they don't agree with :):)
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Indeed. Shame really, as they should be stating that the OP, as an adult, should take some responsibility and sort those forms in time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure