Car Finance Help !

Options
Bunii_Hugz
Bunii_Hugz Posts: 45 Forumite
I have a question about my car finance and I'm looking for any help !

I got a statement a month or so ago but have properly looked at it now as there where a million other things going on anyways I'll just jump in

Agreement Date: 30/04/2010
Amount of Credit: £9503.40
Interest Rate: 3.03% per annum
Duration: 37 months

Okay so that all looks fine to me under this it says "Interest charges were calculated at the outset of the agreement on the amount of credit using the interest rate applicable for the duration of the agreement" ... so I am assuming this means they calculated the amount of interest over 37 months and added it on top of the initial £9503.40 [correct me if im wrong please]

So the other page is a breakdown of payments running from the first payment on 01/06/10 to 28/02/11 totalling 10 payments which equal £1752.30

However at the top it says Opening Balance: £10,749.53 and this is quite a difference of £1,246.13 between the agreed credit amount and what it states is my opening balance

So my question is I have roughly calculated the interest however it doesnt come close to the £1,246.13 difference. Was there possibly a fee for this arranged credit that wasnt brought to my attention ? Or any other possible reasons for the difference ?

The finance is with Santander.

Thanx for any help

Comments

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    there would of been a setup fee and final fee due
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • traz39
    traz39 Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    anyone know how long santander are taking heard nothing since i sent an email on the 7-6-2011
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    what does your credit agreement say

how much did you borrow
    what was the APR
    how many monthly payment were required
    was there any payment free months
    was there any fees
    any final payments
  • Bunii_Hugz
    Options
    I agreed to borrow £9503.40
    APR is 3.03%
    One payment per month for a total of 37 months of £175.23 per month
    No payment free months
    As far as I was aware there was no fee

Well I can walk away after the 37 months by handing the car back and then I have to pay nothing further or I can do the option payment which would be in the region of £3500
  • lawrie28
    lawrie28 Posts: 2,666 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    37 x 175.23 = 6483.51, which is what you are paying per month.

Then you say you have a final option payment in the region on £3,500 so that would mean a total repayment of £10k.

Your interest rate (flat rate) is 3.03% per annum, but the APR will be higher.

There will bea setup fee and a final fee, but this is not a HP deal, it is some kind of lease.

Did you pay any kind of deposit at the start?
  • Bunii_Hugz
    Options
    From memory I paid £2000 deposit which then brought down the amount I needed to borrow to £9,503.40 which I needed to take finance out for

The idea behind it is you keep the car for 3 years and if you want to keep it you pay it off in a lump sum [which would be the £3,500] if you dont want to keep it you had it back and the finance agreement is no longer in place you "free" so to speak

I'll try dig out my original agreement and take it from there so I may have more information for you guys tomorrow
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure